Which Board Should I Get? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which Board Should I Get?

I'm a pretty small guy (5'4 115 lbs). I have ridden a custom smalls 145W for the past 2 years and really beat it up. Since I am going out west for spring break I want to upgrade my board before then. I ride park probably about 80% of the time, I am guessing that out west we will be riding more all mountain stuff but I am still looking for mainly a park board. Since I'm small I'm worried that these sizes might be too big, but it's kind of a problem and I don't really want to go with another kids board since your selection is pretty limited.
I want a board with a lot of pop, I prefer jumps over rails though I do both. If it can hold it's own on other parts of the mountain thatd be great too. The boards I've been liking the most so far are (in order)

YES jackpot - 149

GNU Pickle - 147

Rome Reverb Rocker - 148

Let me know what you think of these and I'm also open to other suggestions. Thanks for any help!
dicetherice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nobody has any suggestions? I'd at least like to know opinions on if these boards will fit me given my size before I buy anything and make a big mistake.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicetherice View Post
Nobody has any suggestions? I'd at least like to know opinions on if these boards will fit me given my size before I buy anything and make a big mistake.
I don't know nearly as much as most of these guys but some initial thoughts are:

1) age or reasonable expectation you'll actually stay your current height and weight. Reason I ask is because is you're 14 you may grow considerably and may want to size up. If you're 30 then you'll probably want a board to fit your current weight.

2) Honestly I am shorter as well and prefer to ride a shorter board and I'm normally on the high range of the weight matrix for the boards I ride. 149 seems a bit long for your height and weight. My son is a little shorter than you and lighter and rides a 136. For a park/all mountain you could probably stay in the lower to mid 140s.

3) Not sure why you rode a wide board...probably because it was a kid's board so they're overall a bit narrower? Or you have large feet?

As far as quality goes, my son rides a burton protest and it doesn't have all the tech but it's a solid/quality board so don't necessarily shy away from them especially at your weight range you're not going to want a real stiff board you can barely flex.

Anyway, take this with a grain of salt and hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

Cliff notes: look for a shorter board than the ones you've listed...preferable one with a soft to mid flex.
bcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

what size feet do you have?
Old 02-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollins View Post
I don't know nearly as much as most of these guys but some initial thoughts are:

1) age or reasonable expectation you'll actually stay your current height and weight. Reason I ask is because is you're 14 you may grow considerably and may want to size up. If you're 30 then you'll probably want a board to fit your current weight.

2) Honestly I am shorter as well and prefer to ride a shorter board and I'm normally on the high range of the weight matrix for the boards I ride. 149 seems a bit long for your height and weight. My son is a little shorter than you and lighter and rides a 136. For a park/all mountain you could probably stay in the lower to mid 140s.

3) Not sure why you rode a wide board...probably because it was a kid's board so they're overall a bit narrower? Or you have large feet?

As far as quality goes, my son rides a burton protest and it doesn't have all the tech but it's a solid/quality board so don't necessarily shy away from them especially at your weight range you're not going to want a real stiff board you can barely flex.

Anyway, take this with a grain of salt and hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

Cliff notes: look for a shorter board than the ones you've listed...preferable one with a soft to mid flex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
what size feet do you have?
I am 17, and I would honestly say that I am close to being done growing. I do plan to bulk up a bit though but that's not gonna happen right away.

My boot size is a 9, that's why I got the wide version. They overhang a little bit but not too much on the wide board. This is why buying kids boards is such a problem! And adult boards less than 145 are pretty much impossible to find.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 02-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you could probably fit on the lib tech skate banana 145 narrow.

Another option is buying women's boards; although not really appealing to your sense of manhood, they are built for people your size. Find one without too much pink and enjoy a properly sized board.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I was 5'6" and 125 for years until I turned 25.

How bout a Rome shank 145. It's a short board designed to run longer. Good pop.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

OK did some more research using the advice you guys gave:

Skate banana 145 looks like the winner right now. Seems to fit about what I want in a board. Would narrow still fit my boot size?

Shank scares me a little because of the "designed to run longer" part. I looked at the size chart and I am at the bottom of the weight range.

other boards I was looking at was:

Arbor draft 143 - but it looks a little more of a jib board than what I want
Ride Buckwild 149 - according to their size chart I am actually in the slightly higher end of the weight range for that board. Does anybody have experience with ride boards and the way they are sized?
Ride OMG 144 or 147 - womans board that looks like it would be a good fit, graphic isnt too girly.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the skate banana might be a little narrow on second thought, the burtner box scratcher comes in a 143, and is .6 cm wider, it's flex is a little softer than a skate banana. Even though its Libs jib board it does well all over the mountain.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yea after looking at the burtner box it looks like the best option ive seen so far. I'm a little worried about it on jumps but I think I'm going to go with that board. Thanks for the help!