Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Noob here. I need an adult! (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/129889-noob-here-i-need-adult.html)

vertigoat 02-20-2014 09:10 PM

Noob here. I need an adult!

I just started snowboarding 3 years ago, and I want to buy a board! I have been reading up on sizing, brands, styles, etc. Something that I learned stuck out to me... Buying cheap or a lightly used board is [possibly] a better option in case I chip it or something of the like. Anyway, does anybody have any advice or recommendations? I'm a 21 y/o female 5' 8" 118-120 lbs. Thank you!

edit: I am also aware of splurging on boots and have basic knowledge about bindings.

edit2: Looking for an "all mountain". I ride mostly in the Poconos, but will be moving to Seattle next year if that would have any baring on choosing a type of board.

KellionBane 02-20-2014 10:42 PM

If you're looking for used... Probably best place to look is on Ebay, Craig's list, Kijiji or even down in the buy/sell forum section... End of season sales are going to be happening soon, so new stuff will be on sale near the end of the march. Could potentially snag something you really want for 40% off or more.

I can't recommend anything specific, but I would stick to a rocker board (easier to learn on). And at your weight you're looking for something between 144-148 cm... Your height doesn't mean much, imo. Its mostly about your weight, and having enough weight to get some flex out of your board.

vertigoat 02-20-2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellionBane (Post 1559625)
If you're looking for used... Probably best place to look is on Ebay, Craig's list, Kijiji or even down in the buy/sell forum section... End of season sales are going to be happening soon, so new stuff will be on sale near the end of the march. Could potentially snag something you really want for 40% off or more.

I can't recommend anything specific, but I would stick to a rocker board (easier to learn on). And at your weight you're looking for something between 144-148 cm... Your height doesn't mean much, imo. Its mostly about your weight, and having enough weight to get some flex out of your board.

I will hold off purchasing until the end of March. I did some more reading, and I think I will do great with a 146 or 147. Thank you for your insight!

wrathfuldeity 02-21-2014 05:44 AM

Hey there Ms Doeling,
Perhaps wait and purchase when out in Seattle, there are tons of great used stuff to be found out here. Your board is going to get chipped and beat...if it doesn't, you are not riding enough. Also there are boards that are designed, made and tested for PNW....like Gnu Bpro....or a splitty version. Anyway ur coming to land of the goat...might even get to ride an old billy:laugh:.

killclimbz 02-21-2014 06:44 AM

Dirty wrath...

Definitely wait until Seattle. Even if you buy new, some of the largest snowboard stores anywhere are located there. Which also mean good sales. Evo is located there and there is some other huge shop across the street from REI that is well stocked. There are others too. I just don't hang out in S town that often.

I think you'll find that you'll have a ton of options used or new.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

buddhafist24 02-21-2014 06:48 AM

I have not personally used this site but have heard good things.

geartrade.com

yolodc 02-21-2014 07:33 AM

hey i got one

I might have some thing for you but it might be a littlie small it's a firefly

vertigoat 02-21-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity (Post 1560065)
Hey there Ms Doeling,
Perhaps wait and purchase when out in Seattle, there are tons of great used stuff to be found out here. Your board is going to get chipped and beat...if it doesn't, you are not riding enough. Also there are boards that are designed, made and tested for PNW....like Gnu Bpro....or a splitty version. Anyway ur coming to land of the goat...might even get to ride an old billy:laugh:.

Keep your billy in your pants! :cheeky4:
Great thank you for the advice I will most likely wait to splurge on a nice board once I am out there.

vertigoat 02-21-2014 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killclimbz (Post 1560105)
Dirty wrath...

Definitely wait until Seattle. Even if you buy new, some of the largest snowboard stores anywhere are located there. Which also mean good sales. Evo is located there and there is some other huge shop across the street from REI that is well stocked. There are others too. I just don't hang out in S town that often.

I think you'll find that you'll have a ton of options used or new.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

awesome :D thank you!!!

vertigoat 02-21-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhafist24 (Post 1560113)
I have not personally used this site but have heard good things.

geartrade.com

thanks!!!!