NS Proto HDX - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default NS Proto HDX

Noob here looking for advice on a new board. After catching an edge (again) and dislocating a shoulder on my current board (Ride Antic 165W), I'm looking to buy one that is a little more forgiving.

The Proto HDX was recommended by a friend and seems like a good option based on the reviews/descriptions that I've read. I'm 6'2", 215, with a size 13 boot so I want to be sure that this board would work given my size. Looks like 163 is the largest one NS makes.

If anyone has experience with this board and can speak to its performance with a big rider, I'd appreciate the info.

Also, someone mentioned a Never Summer "debacle" in this Proto HDX review but didn't elaborate. Is this anything to be concerned about or just drama?
JPBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

That was just drama.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I suggest just slowing it down and learning to ride. Learn to initiate turns with your front foot and edge catches all but disappear.

That said NS and other rocker middle camber outside profiles are more forgiving than camber but you can still get taken down hard with those camber sections.

The most forgiving boards yet stable rides I've been on were arbor rocker boards. Look at the element and coda. Not the greatest on pure ice but a joy everywhere else.

And ignore the drama. Just ride what you want.

Last edited by jdang307; 02-23-2014 at 07:25 PM.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

At your size, I would recommend the 160HDX. It's what I have been riding, and I'm 6'3, 190-200lbs depending on the month, and a size 13 boot, though I did just downsize into a size 12 Burton boot. Anyway, the 160 will be a little more forgiving than the 163, though I doubt that you will notice the difference much.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned!

The Proto is NOT a forgiving ride. (semantical arguments of comparison to a stupid BX board can fuck off, statement holds)

If you are catching edges on something else, the Proto is gonna hurt you. Especially new, they are snappy.

jDang is on the money: LTRide.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks much for the responses. As to the issue of whether or not the Proto is "forgiving", the descriptions for this board say "EXRC improves edge hold when the camber is engaged yet is more forgiving and less likely to catch that edge when in neutral position."

Is that inaccurate? My interest in this board is driven by the rocker-camber feature of NS boards and EXRC of the Proto specifically. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, so I'm interested to hear from those who have ridden this board.

Thanks again.
JPBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Catching an edge is not the board, it is the rider. Lots of people ride less forgiving boards without problems when they know how to ride. A more forgiving board may make it less likely you'll catch an edge but if you're still riding with poor technique it will still happen.

Fix your riding problem and it won't matter what board you have.
MeanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If your set on getting a new board, try something with magne traction. It will be a bit more forgiving when riding. Gnu, lib tech and rossignol all make boards with magne traction. Do yourself a favor though and pay for a lesson.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I suggest just slowing it down and learning to ride. Learn to initiate turns with your front foot and edge catches all but disappear..
QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBlazer View Post
It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, so I'm interested to hear from those who have ridden this board.

Thanks again.
I don't know, does 200-250 days from new to destroyed qualify me? My chairlift is called "Magic Carpet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
Catching an edge is not the board, it is the rider. Lots of people ride less forgiving boards without problems when they know how to ride. A more forgiving board may make it less likely you'll catch an edge but if you're still riding with poor technique it will still happen.

Fix your riding problem and it won't matter what board you have.
I'm sensing a theme *chuckle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbend View Post
If your set on getting a new board, try something with magne traction. It will be a bit more forgiving when riding. Gnu, lib tech and rossignol all make boards with magne traction. Do yourself a favor though and pay for a lesson.
Errr...WHAAA? U don't need magnetraction in CO, you barely need metal edges, also the hooky feel of mag on turn exit is the last thing someone who is being held back by bad basics needs (in this case board torsion and proper edge engagement) - so you get 1/2 credit for suggesting a lesson :P

Sounds like u want this board, lots of people love it for a reason, mine tossed me on my face on hardpack a few times too and I knew how to ride, but thats no reason to blame the board, I just learned not to do that retarded shit, theres no call for riding that way (on your face and ass lol).

Last edited by snowklinger; 02-23-2014 at 08:41 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
t21

To the OP, I've ridden Ride Antic 163 for three season as my beginner board and never had an issue of catching edges. The turn initiation on that board is so easy that if you dislocated your shoulder it is NOT the boards fault! Learn how to ride better, but if you have money to spend and blame your board for your mishap it's your life.sorry you got hurt but don't blame the board. Goodluck on your purchase of a new board.
FUSE-AT
t21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
proto hdx