what snowboard? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default what snowboard?

i am a 16 year old male from scotland i only snowboard 2 weeks a year i am 6'1 and would class myself as intermediate i like to hit jumps and grab etc. i dont know any of the words you use to describe snowboards and for the last 3 years i have just kept buying the smirnoff ice nitro t-1 in a bigger size as it was fairly cheap. i am around 60kg and have size 13 feet american, 12 uk. i am now looking to get a new board for my level and preferably all mountain. can anyone give any suggestions all help is welcome.
thanks,
thomas

p.s i go in spring time to lake tahoe. i have also snowboarded for these 2 weeks a year for 7 years. also new to this forum stuff sorry if i got anything wrong

Last edited by tomracka; 02-23-2014 at 01:22 PM.
tomracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

bump. i need help asap on this i know im a newbie but i need help to find a good board for me
Old 02-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You definitely need a Wide model board becasue of your size 13 feet, probably in the 150-154 size. Tall and skinny with big feet is harder to find the apropriate size for because wide boards are generally made for big heavy dudes. More body weight means you need a longer board to maintain stability at speed and when landing jumps. So you need a relatively short wide board.

Im not sure what brand you have access too or if you will be buying in the US when you get here.

If you can find a GNU Carbon Credit or Lib tech skate banana in 153W that would work. Or maybe find a Rome Agent Rocker 154W on sale that would work well and be a huge upgrade.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
You definitely need a Wide model board becasue of your size 13 feet, probably in the 150-154 size. Tall and skinny with big feet is harder to find the apropriate size for because wide boards are generally made for big heavy dudes. More body weight means you need a longer board to maintain stability at speed and when landing jumps. So you need a relatively short wide board.

Im not sure what brand you have access too or if you will be buying in the US when you get here.

If you can find a GNU Carbon Credit or Lib tech skate banana in 153W that would work. Or maybe find a Rome Agent Rocker 154W on sale that would work well and be a huge upgrade.
ive been riding a 159 normal nitro but my toes caught in the snow all the time. 60kg is about 120 lbs i think i have access to all brands will look through the brands and i hit jumps more than rails so need whatever noard is good for that i also love speed will check out the ones you mentioned though thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

also is there a difference between the 11/12 rocker and 13/14 rocker except price
Old 02-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

120 lbs is just really light for how tall you are, I'm 180 lbs and ride a 159.

if you like a long board that isn't a problem and opens up more options. riding a shorter board will make it easier to control for you
Old 02-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
120 lbs is just really light for how tall you are, I'm 180 lbs and ride a 159.

if you like a long board that isn't a problem and opens up more options. riding a shorter board will make it easier to control for you
im young so slim and i think a smaller board would be easier to spin with as well but im looking for something fairly cheap as well like $300/200 tops and i dont mind buying good secondhands and is the '14 models really that much better than '12 or '13's
Old 02-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

nope, just get last years models. Size is more important than anything else. just check back here when you find something.

Look for a medium stiffness board with rocker in the description. preferably a true twin or directional twin.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

what does rocker and the twin things mean?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Rocker has to do with the board camber profile (how it curves)http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...g-between.html

Twin / directional twin. A true twin board has the same shape nose and tail and the binding inserts are positioned centered on the board. A directional twin has the same (or close to the same) nose and tail and the binding inserts are centered 1/4" to 1 " to the rear of center on the board or some combination of the above.

A true twin rides regular and switch exactly the same, and is easiest to control when doing that kind of thing. A directional twin has no problem riding switch is just a little less stable and a little different than regular.

Most "all mountain" boards are directional twin, this gives you better float in powder and more stability when charging steep runs and big jumps.