What type of board should I get?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rabbit9

Default What type of board should I get??

Greetings all. Im a skier switching over to the other side and need advice on which board I should start off with. I have my eyes on a 2007 custom X because I keep on hearing very good things on it. I know it`s a little pricey but am thinking it may be a good investment. I would appreciate any input you may have. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The custom X is going to be very stiff for a first board...I'd avoid it for the first couple of seasons. What type of riding are you planning on doing, where do you plan on riding, how tall are you how much do you weigh and what size shoes/boots do you wear? All of these will help the rest of the people on here help you out in recomendations.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rent first to get a feel of what type of terrain you like to ride.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rabbit9

Thanks for the replies. I have done a little research myself and since Im 5`9 and 150 lbs, the charts suggested a 156 board. I have also rented about five times and am planning to ride on machine groomed mountains/hills. Not good nor brave enough to try tricks yet.

I have progressed to the "very wide S turns" stage but still very inconsistent with my toe edge. I`m just wondering if I should start with a cheap board and upgrade later or buy a decent board so that I won`t have to upgrade in a couple of years.

Appreciate your thoughts on this.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

After a couple or three years you are probably going to want to get a new board anyway. I don't know if I would call it going "cheap" but get a board more or less designed for your ability level and riding style in mind.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rabbit9

Default almost there...

got cartel bindings and northwave boa reset boots, now all I need is the board, haha.

So Im debating between the burton air 157 and the burton blunt 158.
What boards would be comparable to those if speaking of Salomon or K2 boards?

thanks again!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
alexcited

burton offers ALOT more boards besides the air in your skill range. if you plan on using burton bindings anyway, i think you'd best stick to burton. they offer the widest range of boards for your skill range.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
gobigscott

Default Look other places, not just Burton....

You guys, please don't assume Burton is the only answer...they are the Microsoft of snowboarding! Biggest isn't always best...

Check out the Rider's Choice, from GNU. Good Wood winner, Future Snowboarding award winner, Innovation of the Year award winner, Magne-Traction edges, all for under $500. Made in America, by snowboarders, unlike most of Burton which is mostly made abroad now.

Burton lovers, please don't flame, just making sure that other brands that are REALLY pushing the envelope with technology and on-snow experience get the props that they deserve. If you MUST buy a Burton, don't get the Custom X - too stiff and unforgiving for a first-time snowboarder.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers, and peace to all that ride!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

i think the initial choice of the custom X is fine

of course other manufacturing companies are available and are selling their wares;

but in response to this thread author's original query, i say buy it and enjoy!

and congratulations on 'crossing over'.... you might as well sell you skis, sticks and silly hats now!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jhonyquest97

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigscott
You guys, please don't assume Burton is the only answer...they are the Microsoft of snowboarding! Biggest isn't always best...

Check out the Rider's Choice, from GNU. Good Wood winner, Future Snowboarding award winner, Innovation of the Year award winner, Magne-Traction edges, all for under $500. Made in America, by snowboarders, unlike most of Burton which is mostly made abroad now.

Burton lovers, please don't flame, just making sure that other brands that are REALLY pushing the envelope with technology and on-snow experience get the props that they deserve. If you MUST buy a Burton, don't get the Custom X - too stiff and unforgiving for a first-time snowboarder.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers, and peace to all that ride!

I couldn't agree more. While i do see burton as an innovator for the industry cause they have money to throw around, The low end stuff isn't worth it. There're so many better co. out there that you can get so much more board for the same price. You should look for a board thats soft torsionally. What that means is if you place the tail inbetween you two feet holding it steady, twist the nose and the easier you twist it, the easier it'll be for you to make turns!! GL findin your board!