How Much of a Performance Increase? Worth It? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How Much of a Performance Increase? Worth It?

Hello All,

New member here with a question for you experienced riders.

Background: I am a somewhat intermediate rider from eastern PA who makes at least 1 "big" ski trip per year and spend the rest of my time on the tiny Pocono mountains. Haven't made it up to VT yet but I have been out west and ridden Breck and Loveland. This year I am heading to Jackson Hole. I rip the in bounds blacks, blues, etc etc, but no park. I can ride switch half decent but definitely not with enough confidence to ride the steeps. I currently ride an '06 Burton Bullet 162 Wide (size 12 boots) with '08 Cartel Bindings (Yes, I have Burton gear, don't shoot!!).

The Question: I am considering a new setup, but I have some budget constraints due to spending money on actually going snowboarding as opposed to new gear. How much better are the modern day boards? I know the Bullet was an entry-level model at the time and it gets me down the slopes just fine but I am curious as to whether or not I'm oblivious to some new world of performance or some burning reason why I should upgrade other than the fact that I want new gear.

I was considering some '12/'13 Burton Cartels and a '13/'14 Custom Camber 162W for the sole reason that I have a Burton and really like it, but I haven't really been 'keeping up with the joneses' so to speak on what's hot and what's not nowadays.

So: should I splurge on some new gear? or save the money for another trip next year? (Note: I know this question is a bit subjective, but I just want to hear some opinions, insults, or other comments from the peanut gallery)

Cheers,

Dom
dsciulli19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

OK, first the insult: You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny.

Next, on the board. I don't know if the same level of board from '14 is going to be huge difference from the '06 version, but I do know that going from an entry-level board to a mid-to-expensive board does make a big difference. My first board was an entry-level Morrow Lithium, and it was great for learning on, but when I bought my first Never Summer it made a world of difference. Doesn't have to be an NS, but there is a reason why more expensive boards are more expensive. Better production control, lighter materials, better designs...

Rider > board, but also good board > crap board.

OTOH, on mountain with crap board > sitting in living room staring at good board.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet

First the insult….”shoot low boys, he’s a tiny Pocono mountain rider”

Let me ask…why do you want a new board?

Is it because the board is holding you back, i.e. you are maxing out the capacity of the board’s potential/ability?....and you want to progress further. If that’s case, which board is going to take full advantage of the Pocono Mtn where you ride the most.

Is it because you are going to Jackson and you anticipate that a new board will enable you to enjoy more of the hill? If that’s the case, ur buying a board that you will use once a year.

So you will either need to buy/have 2 board quiver…one for Pocono and one for Jackson…or get a board that will sort of work for both hills….and perhaps enhance your progression. Thus I’d humbly suggest something like an all mtn twin hybrid…such as a Gnu Rider’s Choice in the appropriate size.

OTOH….if ur not in to progressing your skills nor maxing out your current board’s inherent design potential…thus just recrecationally cruising around….why buy a new fancy board…take the trip (and if needed rent a performance board to demo and have fun).
Old 02-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I appreciate the input!

To answer your questions:

Well... I think I want a new board because I'm a sucker for new gear (always want to buy new stuff!!!)

Mainly I feel like I am at the point in my riding skill level that it might be beneficial to step up from an entry level board., but I don't know for certain. I only get 5-10 days on the Mountain/year, but I bought my setup used in 2009 along with the bindings and my old boots for $300 cash altogether, so I feel like it might be time to make the next step. The Jackson trip has me a little tight on money but If I'm going to make the move I'd rather get the board before as opposed to after the trip.

Also I am convinced that the technology in snowboards has advanced in the last 8 years after checking out a few boards at my local shop and feeling how light and springy they are compared to my current stick. (and the fact that they were shiny and new didn't help)

Once again, thanks for the input, just trying to get a feel for where the technology is these days, and how often other folks opt for a new setup.

Dom
dsciulli19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsciulli19 View Post
I appreciate the input!

To answer your questions:

Well... I think I want a new board because I'm a sucker for new gear (always want to buy new stuff!!!)

Mainly I feel like I am at the point in my riding skill level that it might be beneficial to step up from an entry level board., but I don't know for certain. I only get 5-10 days on the Mountain/year, but I bought my setup used in 2009 along with the bindings and my old boots for $300 cash altogether, so I feel like it might be time to make the next step. The Jackson trip has me a little tight on money but If I'm going to make the move I'd rather get the board before as opposed to after the trip.

Also I am convinced that the technology in snowboards has advanced in the last 8 years after checking out a few boards at my local shop and feeling how light and springy they are compared to my current stick. (and the fact that they were shiny and new didn't help)

Once again, thanks for the input, just trying to get a feel for where the technology is these days, and how often other folks opt for a new setup.

Dom
Yes basic is a solid choice for the budget oriented riders
Pair with some cartel or now select and no one will call u ugly
Weipim is offline   Reply With Quote