Guys who know their edges : I need some help. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Guys who know their edges : I need some help.

What kind of edge is this? I dont have a problem with it, but i would like to sharpen my other board like this as well.

It literally is just like the picture...The red sharp edge is JUST at the bottom. Is this a shop sharpening job? or??

because my other 90/88 edge sharpened board does not feel like there is a razor blade along my effective edge such as this one. The edge pulls on your finger.

If i were to hold the board standing on its tail, base facing me. I could let it fall forward and those edges alone could catch my fingertips and not fall.

I asked the shop at my local hill, and he said he cannot tell by the naked eye. Touching it didnt do it for him.

Any ideas?

P.S. The guy who sold it to me said he did alot of carving...dunno if that helps.

Last edited by Ackileez; 02-26-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Ackileez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

So your illustration is indicating that your base edge is zero degrees, flush with the bottom of the board correct?

In my experience a zero degree, dead flat base edge grabs really quick for obvious reasons. The side angle is difficult to estimate from your drawing especially when dealing with increments of 1 degree. But it could be a side bevel of only half a degree or a full degree. A lot of bordercross guys ride 90/89.5 or 90/89.

But the grabbiness on your finger could be caused by factors other than your edge angles. The steel quality of the edge can impact that and how recently it was sharpened.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You just added a second drawing that seems incongruous with the first one so now its hard to tell what you're up to there. A decent shop with a true bar and tools should be able to figure it out. If the old owner can't tell you, it's going to be impossible to tell visually without gauges or tools.

http://www.tognar.com/fk-side-base-bevel-gauge/

Last edited by tonicusa; 02-26-2014 at 10:52 PM.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Usually for racing you want like a 0.5-1 degree edge angle On the base and a 2-3 degree angle On the side. With a 0 it tends to be catchy.... They want it to engage when they get up on edge. Sbx guys usually have a 1/2 or 1/3 (base/side angle)done in the tune shop here that more than a couple sbx and ski racers use...
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think I understand what he is asking here. If I am understanding correctly its not about the angles but that the metal has been shaved away so much that its almost nonexistent save for a thin razor like line of metal only at the bottom.

It would probably be better if you took an actual pic though
Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
I think I understand what he is asking here. If I am understanding correctly its not about the angles but that the metal has been shaved away so much that its almost nonexistent save for a thin razor like line of metal only at the bottom.

It would probably be better if you took an actual pic though
you got it!!

i tried taking a pic, and its not visible with the eye, nvm my iphone camera.

I guess eventually ill have to sharpen it 88 degrees with a sharpener like everyone else.
Ackileez is offline   Reply With Quote