Nidecker Ultralight / Megalight - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Nidecker Ultralight / Megalight

Anyone own one of these decks? How do they actually ride? Straight line bomber, pow squasher, groomer destroyer etc?
JVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

No one else has responded so I'll give you some input...

I'm 5'10" 160lbs sz 9 boots.

I had a 2013 Ultralight 163 last year. It's hard to give impressions without back to back comparisons but I had a two board quiver before the Ultralight...a Salomon Sick Stick and a Burner. It turned out to be the perfect replacement for the two. In powder, I do remember getting slight leg burn first morning out...but the board wants to charge so as you start going faster, all that goes away. Its a relatively soft board and damp so it really felt great in the crud and handled moguls very well. The board seemed to handled carving on hardpack very well, good grip. It could be just a great sidecut or it could be the Ultimate Grip feature from 2013. I liked the feel better then the 7M Magnetraction I have now. Grip felt far superior to the Salomon boards. Definitely stable at speed...right there with the Burner which was a fast board...but much easier to turn and rode short with the hybrid camrock.

For more comparison, this year I started on a Rossignol XV Magtek 163...stiff board, big setback. I remember thinking when I first rode it...this is way more work. Not as maneuverable in tighter trees, harder in moguls, not as damp...was hard to ride all day. You really have to work the flex this board. After 20 days my fitness and riding has adapted to the XV. It no longer feels clumsy. The base is not as fast as the Ultralight but it's even more stable and just wants to go straight down everything all the time.

If you are even thinking about a board like the Ultralight, I bet you will really like it. There may be something even better but we would be splitting various shades of excellent. As a top end freeride board...I doubt it could really disappoint anyone. It does cost a lot and my Tunisia built 2013 had quality issues and I warrantied it in the end. They are now being build back in Switzerland.
Sprockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Just joined after browsing the forums for a while...

I've got a 2012 Megalight - no build issues with it so far. Managed to get a pretty good deal in the sales. It's really the only powder / freeride style board I've ridden (does a Capita DBX count?), so I can't give you much comparison against similar boards.

Anyways, on piste it carves really well - the ultimate grip (whilst being impossible to service) holds an edge well without being too grippy. I'd say better that deathgrip on the Capita. The floppy nose can be a little noisy when you bomb it, but doesn't affect the ride. I think it's the fastest board I've ridden.

On powder it floats easily enough for me - not much back foot weight required - and turns quickly if needed so you can take it in the trees.
RandomPunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a 2012 Megalight, similar to the Ultra. I weigh just under 150lbs, 5'10" and ride the 158. Sprockett's assessment is pretty spot on.

I ride mainly in Japan in good conditions (pow) and the Mega serves as my pow crusher. I've never had rear leg burn on the board and the board accelerates so quickly that getting stuck is rarely an issue unless there has been a route-planning failure on my part. It has good hold on groomers and in the harder conditions (not icy) that I have experienced. It's agile and good in the trees. I'd say that the only the thing the board does not do well is go slow!

As for flex, it's on the stiffer side for my weight and sometimes I get bumped around if the snow is very chopped up.

All in all, don't think anyone would be disappointed unless you try to use it as a park board. The build quality on my board is not great and I am pretty delicate with my board.

Have a search on this forum, there have been a few threads in the past re these boards.

Last edited by ju87; 03-04-2014 at 09:58 PM.
ju87 is online now   Reply With Quote