Need kids board ideas - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need kids board ideas

My sons are 12 and 125 and 105 pounds just under 5'. They have been riding now for 3 seasons on pretty cheap/basic snowboards (size 138) 5150 and Head youth rocka with flow M2 bindings.

Since the sales are coming up, I would like to get them good snowboards that will last them a couple years and help them to enjoy a bit higher performance. They are low intermediate riders able to link turns, hit terrain up to and include black single diamond mogul runs, small jumps, basic tables and boxes, ollies and the like. They do not ride switch yet but have starting working on it. They ride around 15 days a year.

I was thinking a board size around 145 would be small enough so they can ride it next year, but large enough so they could keep it for 2-3 years. I sure would appreciate suggestions. Thanks in advance.
d2cycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You should decide camber or rocker or hybrid.

If there's a lot of ice where you ride or if they are fast and carvy in their style the camber, eg burton protest is Burton's top kids board. Or maybe a burton process in camber - adult board.

If they want something more skatey burton custom smalls is Flying V, fun to ride, not as good edge hold, more forgiving.

The 105 lb kid should almost certainly be on a kids board, the bigger kid could go either way.

I'd also look to the used market.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
You should decide camber or rocker or hybrid.
Thank you for the suggestions. I was thinking rocker or hybrid as they are not bombers...more play around the mountain type dudes. Also, they get a little sloppy sometimes and a camber can be unforgiving.
d2cycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2cycles View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I was thinking rocker or hybrid as they are not bombers...more play around the mountain type dudes. Also, they get a little sloppy sometimes and a camber can be unforgiving.
My 12 y.o. Daughter rides the feelgood Smalls, really likes it for playing around
Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2cycles View Post
My 12 y.o. Daughter rides the feelgood Smalls, really likes it for playing around, it's the girls version of custom smalls
Old 02-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

if you are looking in the 140's i think you would be able to find a decent deal on an adult board which would be better quality, and if shoe size is close to adult then I say go adult, you will prob find a better quality board board. I also think discounts are better on adult boards, as they move a lot faster
larrytbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

My son rides a burton protest 136. It's camber but I like camber so he didn't have much of a choice. He's been riding around 5 years and learned on a traditional camber board since day 1. I could be wrong, but I just kind of felt like he needed to learn on a board that forces you to use proper technique and will benefit him in the long run...now that he's built on that I will let him choose his next board, if he wants a looser feeling that you get from a rocker or hybrid camber or wants to venture a little more into the park, knowing he has the fundamentals to ride whatever he wants. Anyway, my two cents.

Also, you can get really good deals on kids boards and every brand seems to have 1 or 2 legit, high quality, boards for kids. They're also typically much lower in price. I got the Burton protest for 60% off at Altrec.
bcollins is offline   Reply With Quote