Just started, want to stop renting, which board to get - Process, Machete, Raygun? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just started, want to stop renting, which board to get - Process, Machete, Raygun?

I'm a complete beginner starting snowboard lessons with my son. I'm 5'11" and 190 lb. Have been a couple times and want to stop renting so looking at used boards and have narrowed my options to these :
Will probably not be used for park.

1) 2011 Burton Process v-rocker 155. Burton Mission EST bindings. $150
Should be easy to ride and learn on, but will this be too short?

2) 2012 Ride Machete 161, Burton Custom reflex bindings. $250
Maybe tougher to learn on due to stiffness.

Or should I just get something new. Found a 2014 K2 Raygun 156 or 159 without bindings for $250. Its a well reviewed board, but I'll be spending a little more than I want to.

Whatever I get will probably not be used for park or powder.
Thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
voo_doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think this is a good time to look for new boards. I am also a newbie, learning with my kids. I picked a new (2013 model) Ride Manic for $150 and I've been pretty happy with it. It has a flat bottom with rocker on the ends and I can do blues with it comfortably. I've even caught air coming of a mini-half pipe From what I've read, the Manic may be a better choice than the Machete for a beginner, the Machete is stiffer I believe.
For bindings I went with Salomon The Boss, they were also on sale ($80, I think it was) and it seems to make sense to me to get a softer/park oriented binding as a b3ginner. My logic is that such a binding will be more forgiving than an expert level, superstiff binding meant for hard charging.

If you don't have boots, I'd buy boots first. No matter the board you won't have fun if your feet aren't happy.
the grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

machete with the cartels are a good price
triumph.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph.man View Post
machete with the cartels are a good price
Read some other posts here about the Machete and I think you have one. Do you think the stiffness or length would be too much for a beginner? My son mentioned that he wants to learn how to butter, so I'm probably going to try that with him next time we go. Is the Machete OK for that?
voo_doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

you can butter, but let me tell you it is a stiff board to butter on. if you are looking for a playful board, I would look elsewhere.
A beginner can definitely learn on this board...it isn't a full camber board, so you will not be catching many edges.

I ride a 155 @ 165 lbs, and chose the 155 for stability on bombing the groomers.

mountain creek 2014 - YouTube

Here's a video on the machete - @ the 1:10 mark, I try to flex and butter the board, and you can see how much it flexes. Can you butter, yes, are there better boards for buttering, yes.

My thoughts on this board, a great, damp board for charging, jumps, pop, and switch riding. All around I love this board, but also looking for a playful board this season.

Last edited by triumph.man; 02-28-2014 at 03:47 PM.
triumph.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

i have a regular cambered board and i don't catch any edges. in fact, i haven't caught a single one since i bought it last year. and i ride at mountain creek and anyone who's been there knows how busy it gets. to be honest, i was really surprised by this. i ride the Rome Anthem. i don't know, i've only ridden 2 boards in my 14 or 15 years of riding. my previous board was an '00 Forum Jeremy Jones which has regular camber and that thing caught edges like nobodies business. it'd catch an edge on a freshly groomed trail that nobody rode on yet lol. maybe technology has changed that much over the years or that and boards like the anthem are just built better because they're designed to be ridden fast.
SkullAndXbones is offline   Reply With Quote