How is ROME ButterKnife? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How is ROME ButterKnife?

Hi, I'm trying to buy a board and it's pretty confusing with all the available options...figured you guys can help me.

I'm a beginner, only rode for a week and about to go on my second week (which is why I thought it might be a good time to buy a board). I'm pretty short (163cm) so I thought the ButterKnife should be a good fit for me.

I like trying ground tricks and (for now) very small jumps, I know this board is really good for that, but how about riding powder? Obviously I don't have much experience but I did ride for a bit and it was extremely fun so I want a board that is at least decent in that.

Thoughts? I'm also open for other suggestions.
Thanks.
bigimot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You'll be fine riding in powder with that board until your skills progress to the point where you'll know what your specific personal preferences are, and from there, you'll be able to make a choice on whatever board you want next.

Don't overthink it. That board sounds like a solid option for what you want to use it for. Buy it and go have fun.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

from what I gather, Rome's "No Hang Ups" profile on the ButterKnife is kinda their version of Bataleon's TBT. Most companies that try getting close to TBT are way off, but I hear Rome's is actually good (they can't copy it exactly because TBT is patented).

Based on that, I can tell you it's good tech, especially for beginners because you won't catch edges and slam as much (very welcomed when landing jumps). It's also excellent in powder. The downside is flatground tricks are not as easy because there isn't as much to dig with at the tips.

Looking at the specs, sounds like a really fun board . Just be sure to check the "Board Fit" area on the board's web page to get the right size for your weight (not height).
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses. I already checked the 'Board Fit' area..I'm about 150lb so according to that I should get the 149 one but I'm probably going to take the 146 one to have more control over the board.

Which flatground tricks won't be easy? I should be ok for carving, buttering and the other stuff shown here? Since this is pretty cool snowboarding
Old 03-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

oh, you'll definitely be able to do those tricks on the BK (if you snowboard every day for about 5 years). Those are intermediate-adv but not super advanced tricks, mostly standard ollies and pops.

It's if you ever you start getting into stuff like flatground cab 5s or 7s that you need that extra bite to help kick your spin around (I can't do those, btw, but I've seen them done)...however, there's negatives to that bite, too
Old 03-02-2014, 05:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ha, I hope it will take me less than 5 years but thanks for the heads up.
I showed this board to a friend and he said I should pick an all-mountain board instead. Hope I'm not driving you nuts just really don't want it to suck hard on powder..that's the only thing I'm a bit worried about.

Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

No hang ups on the butterknife should make it float better actually. Kind of like a haul on a boat. It sounds like a good choice for what you want to do. I have a friend who has one and it is soft but it isn't ridiculously soft to where you won't enjoy it everywhere. Go get one and have fun!
ryan lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds awesome, I'm going for it then. Thanks a lot guys, you made me feel much better about this purchase.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigimot View Post
Ha, I hope it will take me less than 5 years but thanks for the heads up.
I showed this board to a friend and he said I should pick an all-mountain board instead. Hope I'm not driving you nuts just really don't want it to suck hard on powder..that's the only thing I'm a bit worried about.

Thanks again.
ideally, you'd have a separate boards for powder or groomers/tricks (a mini-quiver). You can't have it all in one board (contrary to what some people, or companies, may try to convince you).

Good powder boards are, among other things, stiff, directional and usually have some taper. Good trick boards are shorter, extremely flexy, and have a lower end base that won't be a time consuming hassle to repair when you shred it on a rail or whatever. From my exp, "all mtn" boards are just half-assed at both.

A short BK is definitely going to lean on the trick side, but the NHU rocker is going to help in powder...however, considering the rest of the specs of that board, it's not going to slay super deep powder, but help a lot in anything up to around half a foot.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, I picked that up already..trying to make something that is good for everything is decent (at best) in anything, since you have to make sacrifices on both ends (which is true for many things, not just snowboards).

I'm going to buy the butterknife, and if needed, I might buy another board one day. Thanks again.