Never Summer sizing and board assistance please - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Never Summer sizing and board assistance please

Howdy! Well after getting much better and losing a ton of weight (55lbs) I want to get a new board. I currently ride a 2009 Never Summer SL 161 and now weigh 175lbs soaking wet. So, after reading a million threads and reviews for the past 3 days, I am still confused.

First, I predominantly ride the Tahoe region ( if it helps anyone, I love Kirkwood backside and Cornice, Squaw KT and Granite, and Alpine Meadows backside) and really want a board that can help me handle steep chutes littered with moguls and tight tree runs with natural features. I never go in the park unless I'm chasing my kids around. Something that can handle a bit of pow, can turn on a dime, handle the crud, go fast, and pop on some little jumps, etc. I guess I'm deciding between sticking with a shorter SL (mine right now is a handful on the steeps), Cobra, Proto, or Heritage.

I would greatly appreciate any input on the right size (158?) and model. Thank you very much!
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Cobra or Heritage for what you described. Either would work. Cobra will be softer, a little more nimble, and more playful. Heritage will he damper and a little more stable when riding balls to the wall.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

What Lin said. If you have a chance to demo, don't rule out the new Snowtrooper (replacing the SL and Legacy), which has great early reviews and the new Ripsaw (extended Camber zone, most stable at higher speeds, but stiffer than the others). Size-wise I'd say 158-9 is perfect, but you can get away with 156ish too. Just realize that it will feel REALLY small the first few runs until you acclimate.

I'm your size and run a 160 Heritage in deeper stuff and 156 Ripsaw for every day.

Grats on the weight loss btw.
Loftness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Cobra will be softer, a little more nimble, and more playful.
While damp is really nice in the early spring ice/crud, wouldn't something with more flex (i.eg., Cobra) be more appropriate for handling quick maneuvers?

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
While damp is really nice in the early spring ice/crud, wouldn't something with more flex (i.eg., Cobra) be more appropriate for handling quick maneuvers?

Thanks.
Yep, hence why I said the Cobra will be a little more nimble.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftness View Post
What Lin said. If you have a chance to demo, don't rule out the new Snowtrooper (replacing the SL and Legacy), which has great early reviews and the new Ripsaw (extended Camber zone, most stable at higher speeds, but stiffer than the others). Size-wise I'd say 158-9 is perfect, but you can get away with 156ish too. Just realize that it will feel REALLY small the first few runs until you acclimate.

I'm your size and run a 160 Heritage in deeper stuff and 156 Ripsaw for every day.

Grats on the weight loss btw.
Ha! Thanks! Unfortunately, I had to buy all new gear after losing all of the weight. Oh well.

I wanted to demo but NS didn't come to California as far as I knew. New board designs throw a wrench in the mix. A 156 might be good but I wonder if it might be too short for powder. I'm kinda going for a 1 board quiver at this point.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Yep, hence why I said the Cobra will be a little more nimble.
Gotcha. I'm thinking Cobra just might be the ticket. Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've spent a good amount on time on both and I prefer the Cobra as well.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
Ha! Thanks! Unfortunately, I had to buy all new gear after losing all of the weight. Oh well.

I wanted to demo but NS didn't come to California as far as I knew. New board designs throw a wrench in the mix. A 156 might be good but I wonder if it might be too short for powder. I'm kinda going for a 1 board quiver at this point.
Drop them an email - I was told they will be up in tahoe this month sometime running demos but no definite dates yet.
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For your stated riding style, I'd go with a 158.

158 Cobra sounds like the ticket for you.