Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Hot Knife vs TRS XC2BTX (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/131930-hot-knife-vs-trs-xc2btx.html)

jw9315 03-02-2014 04:54 PM

Hot Knife vs TRS XC2BTX

Hi All,
I'm trying to decide between a Hot Knife and TRS XC2BTX - I was wondering if anyone had tried both of these boards and could comment on things i should bear in mind if i'm deciding between them?

some details on me:

- boot size U.S. 9
- weight: 66 kg (145 lbs)
- height: 5 foot 8

i was thinking of the 153 hot knife or the 154 TRS XC2BTX.

I've been riding a camber board for the last ten years, so don't mind sticking with that.

My main priorities are:

1. riding on groomers
2. doing small jumps off natural features
3. powder

I don't do any jibbing/boxes or rails

I also steered clear of the travis rice boards due to hearing that they are more suitable for people with bigger boots - should i have the same concern about the TRS board? The hot knife looks quite narrow, so i'm not worried about that.

thanks in advance,

ek9max 03-10-2014 01:26 AM

I've been riding for a year so about 50 days under my belt. So my experience may not be of much value to you.

However I found the TRS to be much better than the Hot knife. On groomers is seemed just as good (I'm by no means a carving expert). Just as stable and easier to turn with the TRS. However in powder I found it MUCH better.

I have a 154 TRS and a 156 Hot knife.

24WERD 03-10-2014 01:42 AM

154 ns proto

C3 at reg size not good for powder.

Xc2 us also fine but don't like the base

ek9max 03-10-2014 01:44 AM

Yea I didn't like the idea of an extruded base.

But I tell ya. I glide past everybody on the cat tracks. Extruded or sintered. The TRS glides awesome.

Wombat401 03-11-2014 12:22 AM

I have not ridden either board but did a ton of research on both and just ordered a TRS. I will ride it for the first time on Friday. I am boot size 7 135lbs and 5 6. I ride a 147 pickle and ordered the 148 narrow. Anyways for you:

The hot knife is going to be stiffer and an aggressive all mtn board. It is C3 technology which is primarily camber with a mild rocker between the feet so it will be much less playful and less forgiving than the TRS. But I see you have been riding camber so you may like it.

XC2BTX has more rocker than C3 so it will be a looser ride than the hot knife. Reviews say the TRS rides stable for a rocker board as the camber sections were extended this year. I am going to use the TRS as my all mountain board and my Pickle as my jib/pow board. The TRS will perform better in powder due to more rocker but probably not deep powder.

They make the TRS in narrow sizes 148, 151, 154, and 157 but with a size 9 you should be good either way with either board.

I like the looser skatey feel of rocker but wanted an all mtn board that was more stable than the pickle and could fly down groomers but hit natural features at the same time. The TRS will have more flex than the hot knife and will also be more forgiving. It will also perform in a variety of conditions (hardback, pow, etc).

GreyDragon 03-11-2014 01:18 AM

I've ridden both boards.
I can't imagine you'd be unhappy with either.
Same mid-flex for freestyle on each.

Really just depends on whether you want to emphasize stability (marginally better on the Hot Knife) or playfulness/ease of turning (better on the TRS).

I went with the TRS because I like the greater rocker between the feet.

Final factor - you mention you want to ride powder. Advantage: TRS.

LuckyRVA 03-11-2014 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wombat401 (Post 1603738)
I have not ridden either board but did a ton of research on both and just ordered a TRS. I will ride it for the first time on Friday. I am boot size 7 135lbs and 5 6. I ride a 147 pickle and ordered the 148 narrow. Anyways for you:

The hot knife is going to be stiffer and an aggressive all mtn board. It is C3 technology which is primarily camber with a mild rocker between the feet so it will be much less playful and less forgiving than the TRS. But I see you have been riding camber so you may like it.

XC2BTX has more rocker than C3 so it will be a looser ride than the hot knife. Reviews say the TRS rides stable for a rocker board as the camber sections were extended this year. I am going to use the TRS as my all mountain board and my Pickle as my jib/pow board. The TRS will perform better in powder due to more rocker but probably not deep powder.

They make the TRS in narrow sizes 148, 151, 154, and 157 but with a size 9 you should be good either way with either board.

I like the looser skatey feel of rocker but wanted an all mtn board that was more stable than the pickle and could fly down groomers but hit natural features at the same time. The TRS will have more flex than the hot knife and will also be more forgiving. It will also perform in a variety of conditions (hardback, pow, etc).

I've ridden a Hot Knife for 1.5 seasons now. The HK is not stiff and/or unforgiving. I've never ridden the TRS but Lib Tech rates them about the same stiffness level. And as they get longer the TRS is stiffer (at 162 the TRS has a stiffness of 7 , the HK a stiffness of 6).

If you're looking to ride pow, I'd say the TRS is your go to. The HK is not great in powder. I have a Slash Straight for that.

Triple8Sol 03-12-2014 09:57 PM

I'm actually pretty interested in trying out an XC2 board like the TRS or one of next year's offerings. It seems to be the most similar profile to NS' new CR profile, which is pretty damn good.