Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Buying my first board (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/131954-buying-my-first-board.html)

JamesNZ 03-02-2014 08:46 PM

Buying my first board

Hey Guys,

Ive just started snowboarding and im looking at getting my own gear. Ive seen a burton custom 162w board second hand, would this be too short for my weight?

If so any suggestions on what i should get, ive got a budget of $300 for a board and bindings

weight: 220lb
height: 6'2
boot size: 12

Thanks James

Luvmustycarpet1 03-03-2014 07:37 AM

Try Gnu, Lib Tech Stepchild or never summer

Ll How much are you trying to spend ? Im pro mervin boards all the way ! I wld reccomend a Gnu Carbon credit u can find them on evo.com for pretty cheap its usually 400$ board marked down for end of season ..that being said its a fun board to ride with the BTX and magne traction is second to none...the board comes in a bunch of diff sizes wides inckuded ....this. board will last u long time untill its time to step up a notch n get a more advanced. Board ... I have a 2011 156w gnu cc n love it im 5 10 175lbs size 12 boot ....loads of fun esp if u ride east coast like i do with icy conditions with the mtx u will b blowing by everyone when there falling n u bombin passed them with the MTX !! Try a banana well worth the money

JamesNZ 03-03-2014 08:58 AM

I'm looking to spend no more than $300 for both board and binding.

I like the look of the gnu carbon credit, what size would you recommend and do I need to get a wide board?

Thanks James

Luvmustycarpet1 03-03-2014 09:08 AM

Oh 300 for both hmmm idk if u can get some good quality new stuff for that price maybe used u can find something or on the house.com they have package deals u might want to check out ...EVO.com has a 2014 carbon credit blemish board for 279 new ....it depends how u feel with the size my buddy is 6'2 170lbs size 12 boot and has the gnu space case 153. He loves it he was comming from a ride dose 161... IMO If your looking for a fun board u can whip around the mtn butter n do all sorts of fun shit go with maybe 156-158 if u want a board that you should be riding by weight n height maybe go with 161+ ...I have a size 12 n l/xl union bindings n I'm fine on a 9 n half in width board and also 10 n 10half in width boards ..so its preference the wide boards prob b a lil stiffer but have a lil more stability

Luvmustycarpet1 03-03-2014 09:19 AM

This board should last u for a decent amount of time I rode my ride kink for 6 years before I bought a new board ..and it depends how into it your really are. ...you can get a good set up for 400-450$ that's going to last you atleast 3-4 seasons if your not one of those ppl that get new shit Evry year u spend 279 on a blemish CC and get pair of union dlx bindings and your set untill next time IMO ITS def worth spending the extra 100$ ...snowboards r one of those things you BUY CHEAP YOU GET CHEAP !