Freeride board for small highschooler - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Freeride board for small highschooler

So I am a parkrat that is lucky enough to get around 7-10 days out west a year which I am grateful for. So i have saved up money to get an out west more freeride setup. However I have no clue what to look for in a freeride board. In the park I ride full camber so thats what I normally ride out west.

Ability: Mid-level in park, All mountain: can actually crave, have done two legit chutes at Big Sky and I normally ride steep tree runs out west.

Weight: 122lbs no clothes Height: 5'1"

Foot/boot size- 9

Boards I have looked at so far Burton Barracuda and a Captia TFK

Thanks guys
ryguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd go Jones Mountain twin 154.
Bamfboardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

i'm gonna try and help as much as possible here:

generally freeride boards are on the medium - stiff side of the spectrum. because they're built for speed, stability, carving hard, and still being able to perform in powder. they're also generally good with jumps but not so much for rails. there are some out there that are regular camber but a lot of them are some sort of hybrid to perform better in powder. a lot of them also have a directional or directional twin shape. when you buy one you're gonna wanna go at least 4cm bigger then your park board. you being only 5'1" you have an abundant amount of options on your hands.

i wanna give you some boards to consider:
Never Summer - Heritage, Raptor, Premier F1
Gnu - Billy Goat
Lib Tech - Darker Series, Hot Knife
Capita - Black Snowboard of Death
Ride - Slackcountry, Highlife UL
K2 - Turbo Dream, Raygun, Slayblade, Fastplant

even though i haven't ridden any of these, i am not just recommending them out of my ass. in fact, if i was making enough money, i would become sort of a snowboard hoarder and i would buy quite a few of these without question.

one last thing, don't take my advice as the end all be all of advice. get advice from other people, keep doing research and try to get a general consensus on what you should get.
SkullAndXbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

For Burton boards I'd also look at the Landlord. If you like camber, stick with camber but go with the early rise nose profile to help with powder float.

Also make sure to size it right, big boards = better float and stability at speed... If you're in between two sizes of a board, I'd err on the high side for a freeride board.

Things I like in a freeride board:

- taper (tail is more narrow than tip)
- setback
- mild camber and nose rocker
- Medium-stiff with strong torsional stiffness (tri or quad FG, carbon fiber stringers/layers, kevlar, etc.)
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys

One of main concerns is that board size I mean I normally ride a 142 so stepping up to something in the low 150s
Also how does set back feel?

I have narrowed it down to these four boards

BSOD in a 156 I like because it has a lot of camber and it isn't too setback

Burton trick pony 154 I like it because it is a twin and it has a centered stance

Captia DBX 157 I like it because it is a twin and has cam rock

K2 slayblade- I like it because I have wanted to try the lifted profile and I have heard K2 makes stable boards
Old 03-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What sort of out west trip - snowy groomers or true pow as in cat or Heli?

Burton Sherlock is a pow oriented twin but not cambered.

If you're expecting deep snow then definitely look for taper and setback.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy15 View Post
One of main concerns is that board size I mean I normally ride a 142 so stepping up to something in the low 150s
Also how does set back feel?
Why are you wanting to step up to something that big? I'm all for big boards, but you're a small guy (weight wise), so something over 150 won't be designed for you. Stick closer to the size you're designed for.

The landlord I suggested in 159 starts at 145 lb and goes to 185 lb, so the board is ideally suited to a 165 lb person. That's not going to be the board for you!

Unfortunately many freeride boards are not available in a smaller size.

Why do you mention liking boards that are twins and don't have setback?!? They whole idea of a freeride board (as opposed to freestyle or all mountain) is that it can excel in powder and steeps. For those, setback, taper, etc. are you friend! Embrace the setback man!!! Twins are for riding switch, which is great in the park or on piste, but if you're riding powder it's going to kill your back leg.
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
What sort of out west trip - snowy groomers or true pow as in cat or Heli?

Burton Sherlock is a pow oriented twin but not cambered.

If you're expecting deep snow then definitely look for taper and setback.
I am talking legit pow and I am doing a snowcat trip soon and in Montana I did some resort access backcountry so legit pow and when I am not doing that I ride mainly trees.

And looks like I am gonna go setback and taper. I think I am just worried It will feel weird because I ride switch a lot and sometimes do tree runs switch for a challenge
Old 03-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy15 View Post
I am talking legit pow and I am doing a snowcat trip soon and in Montana I did some resort access backcountry so legit pow and when I am not doing that I ride mainly trees.

And looks like I am gonna go setback and taper. I think I am just worried It will feel weird because I ride switch a lot and sometimes do tree runs switch for a challenge
I would go Mountain twin all the way.
Bamfboardman is offline   Reply With Quote