Advice for women's snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice for women's snowboard

I have spent a lot of hours for the past 2 months looking for a snowboard that will fit my needs. I have been to 6 trips into the slopes (east coast) and had been using rentals. I'm 5'0, 105lbs, size 6 boots, goofy stance. For my last ride, I rented from a snowboard shop and they gave me a Burton Genie 140 which was pretty good, I think. I know i'm still a beginner but I want a board that I can progress with and I can stick with for a while. My budget would be between 200-400. I have been looking on the following boards as my contenders but if you have more suggestions, I'd appreciate that.
NeverSummer Infinity 142
NeverSummer Onyx 140 (I guess this replaces the Pandora)
Roxy Silhouette
Gnu B-nice
Burton Feather

Also, I know there's only a few weeks left for this season. Is it better to buy a board now or wait for summer/black friday deals?

Thanks for the help in advance!
elaine003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

I can't comment on the board choices (except that I haven't heard much good about the Feather). My fiancee started on a K2 Luna and liked it, great mid-range board, but I believe they've gone to a hybrid camber shape on that board now.

As for deals, now is the time to buy. The next month or two are when the best deals are (with stock still available). If you wait too long it can get hard to find stock. Depending on the brand you should be looking at 30-40% off now. End of March may be a little cheaper.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Scratch the Feather if you want to progress, specially on the East Coast.

It's a beginner board. Easy to ride since it doesn't catch (and doesn't grip either...)

GF swears by her Infinity. Can't tell much about the other boards but I don't think you can really go wrong with either of them.
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
I can't comment on the board choices (except that I haven't heard much good about the Feather). My fiancee started on a K2 Luna and liked it, great mid-range board, but I believe they've gone to a hybrid camber shape on that board now.
so I looked at the k2 luna at evo but I dont think they still produce this board. They now have the bright lite and the sky lite that are within my conditions. Anybody with advice regarding these boards??
Old 03-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Scratch the Feather if you want to progress, specially on the East Coast.

It's a beginner board. Easy to ride since it doesn't catch (and doesn't grip either...)

GF swears by her Infinity. Can't tell much about the other boards but I don't think you can really go wrong with either of them.
Oh okay. Yeah I wasn't that keen with the feather either and was leaning more into the neversummers. My younger brother rented a 2013 NS at the snowboard shop and he loved it.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

While Infinity is fun it won't hold edge on the serious ice we tend to get on East coast. MT is your friend in these parts. Gnu or Roxy boards are the way to go.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

^ Or Rossignol.
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
While Infinity is fun it won't hold edge on the serious ice we tend to get on East coast. MT is your friend in these parts. Gnu or Roxy boards are the way to go.
I read about that too regarding the Magnetraction that's why I added the Roxy Silhouette and the Gnu B-nice to my list. Are any ofthese two good tho?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Not to stir the pot, but magnetraction isn't for everyone, and as far as I know there is still no hard data that says it grips any better than straight edges. I wouldn't buy a board just for the MT is my point...

On another note: The Luna that my fiancee learned on was a traditional camber, medium flex, straight edge board. I believe they released the Lunatique after that aimed at the same type of rider that used to be on the Luna.

Since learning on that Luna for the first three years, she switched to a stiffer, more freeride oriented (still camber) board, and she's become really quite the rider. Her confidence is huge, and that may be due to good mechanics learned while riding a traditional camber board.

Something to consider when looking at base profiles anyway...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine003 View Post
I read about that too regarding the Magnetraction that's why I added the Roxy Silhouette and the Gnu B-nice to my list. Are any ofthese two good tho?
B-nice is OK. I never demoed Silhouette but I think it's a rocker? Unless you spend most of your time in the park I don't see the need for rocker. It will hinder your progress. Consider Ollie Pop instead.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote