Board Sizing for Second Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
SBK

Default Board Sizing for Second Board

I have a 161cm LT Jaimie Lynn that I'm really happy with for groomers and powder but the last couple of years I've been getting into the trees a bit. The 161 is a bit long and slower initiating turns so I'm looking into getting a second board for this.

I'm wondering what size, or size range, I should be looking at. I'm 5'10, 175 pounds and size 10.5 boots.

I've found a good deal on an unused 155cm 2012 Altered Genetics but am wondering if this is on the short side. I'd still like to ride the rest of the mountain with the smaller board without giving up too much in stability and float.

I have a fondness for Mervyn boards and they seem to mostly be 155 or 157 in the boards I'm looking at. At my wieght it looks like I'm at the upper limit on a 155 but a 157 might not be enough shorter for my needs.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks
SBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
I'm wondering what size, or size range, I should be looking at. I'm 5'10, 175 pounds and size 10.5 boots.

Any thoughts or opinions?
Yeah, I think you may regret sizing down. Just my $0.02 of course, but I'm 5'7" and 175 lb, and regularly ride a 160 EVERYWHERE, and have recently had a 165 and 166 in the trees just fine.

Assuming you're planning on hitting powder in the trees? Otherwise year sizing down might help.

Also, isn't the Jaime Lynn a twin? I'd be looking for something with a more directional profile. All three boards in the 160s I ride have some setback and taper, and it helps you turn the nose when you're standing on the tail.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
SBK

Definitely only plan to be in the trees on powder days after the main runs are tracked out.

They call the Jaimie Lynn a directional twin and the year I have has 1/2" of set back.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Definitely only plan to be in the trees on powder days after the main runs are tracked out.

They call the Jaimie Lynn a directional twin and the year I have has 1/2" of set back.
Yeah I'd be tempted to try a more directional freeride board but still in your size. Last time I rode a 155 it just felt weird, no float and lower grip. It was also a twin which didn't help.

I ride with more like 1-1/5" setback, and a little taper helps too.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
SBK

Maybe time to demo some boards again.

I definitely am hesitant to go as small as 155.

Might be a waste of money to get a short board I might use only a few times a year.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Might be a waste of money to get a short board I might use only a few times a year.

Thanks for the feedback.
No problem, I bought the 156 as a play/park board and just find it so useless on the rest of the hill that I don't ride it. Now I'm going to sell it...