basalt vs fiberglass - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default basalt vs fiberglass

Is the Lib Tech horsepower construction worth the extra money over regular fiberglass??

And what are the pros and cons of basalt from personal experience? Including non lib tech boards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The basalt board have more pop than the regular ones. Basalt has tension and stretch characteristics that fall between carbon fiber and fiberglass. Basically you can expect a more lively ride from the HP models. The question if being worth it is a personal one. If you can afford it go ahead. If you are stretching your budget for one I would just get a regular or look at other companies
Old 03-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My Capita DBX is the first board I've ever ridden with basalt. Without being able to compare the same models with and without it, it's kind of hard to tell you exactly what it adds. I have ridden the Capita TFA and the DBX is basically the TFA with more bamboo in the core and basalt. I can tell you that the TFA feels completely dead compared to the DBX. The only reason the TFA sells over the DBX is because the DBX graphics suck.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think the 57 DBX is based on the BSOD if memory serves. Which is softer and more lively than the TFA anyway.

Basalt does have a higher tensile strength than glass. The strength is your only noticeable difference in a snowboard. The stresses you're putting the fibers under arwnt otherwise enough to demonstrate any toher characteristic difference from glass.

Is it worth the extra $150 or whatever? If you snap boards a lot maybe, otherwise I genuinely dont think it rides $150 better than glass.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 03-05-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well I jus ordered the T rice pro from EVO it was a blem board took a gamble on o got it yest and they sent me the T Rice pro HP n charged me for the original version of the Rice board so I was wondering what is the big difference since this caught me off guard n I didn't do much research on it ...so I def appreciate the feedback
Old 03-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I think the 57 DBX is based on the BSOD if memory serves. Which is softer and more lively than the TFA anyway.

Basalt does have a higher tensile strength than glass. The strength is your only noticeable difference in a snowboard. The stresses you're putting the fibers under arwnt otherwise enough to demonstrate any toher characteristic difference from glass.

Is it worth the extra $150 or whatever? If you snap boards a lot maybe, otherwise I genuinely dont think it rides $150 better than glass.
DBX is definitely based on the TFA. They share the same shape. As far as I understand it, the difference is the graphics and the guts. In terms of flex, they feel about the same. Both mid-stiff. The increased liveliness may be from the additional bamboo compared to the TFA?

This is the line I've always heard in terms of the DBX's development:

"This board is only available in one size and was developed using the 157 totally fkn awesome shape. The construction differs from the tfa in that the dbx has a rfc sustainable bamboo dual core, basalt fiberglass configuration as well as basalt v reinforcements in the nose and tail."
Old 03-06-2014, 01:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
DBX is definitely based on the TFA. They share the same shape. As far as I understand it, the difference is the graphics and the guts. In terms of flex, they feel about the same. Both mid-stiff. The increased liveliness may be from the additional bamboo compared to the TFA?

This is the line I've always heard in terms of the DBX's development:

"This board is only available in one size and was developed using the 157 totally fkn awesome shape. The construction differs from the tfa in that the dbx has a rfc sustainable bamboo dual core, basalt fiberglass configuration as well as basalt v reinforcements in the nose and tail."
I was just in a shop today and the guy told me about the board. There are actually three sizes. One is basically an Indoor Survival, one is the really soft board, and one is based on the BSOD. They've just been slightly tweaked and added DB's name.

Not taking anything away from any of them. They are supposed to be great snowboards. It's similar to what they did with Scott Stevens board. Kept the old shape of the Ultrafear, added Ollie bars under the feet, and added the dampening all the way around the tip instead of stopping before reaching the tip and tail.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

All those differences could be attributed to the bamboo alone. Bamboo is poppy as anything.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Waiting till end of season sale makes getting the HP a little more appealing.
SnowDogWax is online now   Reply With Quote