Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Crack on board edge: manufacturing failure?(photo) (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/132538-crack-board-edge-manufacturing-failure-photo.html)

kusanagi 03-05-2014 08:08 AM

Crack on board edge: manufacturing failure?(photo)

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, probably I hit a rock and now there is a crack/crevice on the edge in the middle of the board( not at the nose nor the tail). But arent edges supposed to be ductile, so that even if I hit a rock, the edge should protrude out instead of cracking?

trapper 03-05-2014 08:17 AM

That looks like less of a crack and more just a spot where the edges were joined in the production process. Are there any more like that on your board?

speedjason 03-05-2014 09:59 AM

oh god not again. its the joint where both ends of the edge meet.:blink:

hardasacatshead 03-05-2014 10:19 AM

To be honest I've never seen a join on the side of the board, always at the centre of the tip/tail. If there aren't any other joins on the board then obviously that's what this is, however if you've got a join somewhere else then that looks like a crack to me.

speedjason 03-05-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardasacatshead (Post 1589930)
To be honest I've never seen a join on the side of the board, always at the centre of the tip/tail. If there aren't any other joins on the board then obviously that's what this is, however if you've got a join somewhere else then that looks like a crack to me.

the joint on my Salomon Villain is on the side a bit in front of the contact point on the nose.

blackbeard 03-05-2014 10:35 AM

That's where the edges meet. Nothing to be concerned about -- go ride!

kusanagi 03-05-2014 10:55 AM

i'm sure that this is not a joint, as it hadn't been there until a week ago.

I do have two other "cracks", which i know they are joints, on each side at the tail tip.

speedjason 03-05-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kusanagi (Post 1590090)
i'm sure that this is not a joint, as it hadn't been there until a week ago.

I do have two other "cracks", which i know they are joints, on each side at the tail tip.

thats weird having more than one joint. maybe this is a crack.
the only time I can think of would cause such crack is over flexing the board so the metal is pulled apart.

Dago91 03-05-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedjason (Post 1590154)
the only time I can think of would cause such crack is over flexing the board so the metal is pulled apart.

This.. never seen more then one joint as well.

kusanagi 03-06-2014 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedjason (Post 1590154)

will that end up problematic:unsure:?