Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Old guy seeks opportunity with new board (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/132601-old-guy-seeks-opportunity-new-board.html)

Partyneverdies 03-05-2014 02:21 PM

Old guy seeks opportunity with new board

First-time poster looking for board/setup advice. Hereís my scoop:
  • Advanced level rider (22+ years)
  • Old, in trick years (35)
  • Skateboarder since before day 1
  • 6í1 ~185lbs
  • 11.5 Burton IONs
  • Midwest (MN) mostly hard-pack, weekend resort riding
  • Smaller park jumps, natural terrain/kickers/drops, etc, buttering, some rails/boxes

Currently I ride a 2010 K2 WWW 152 (w/ Formulas) and pretty much love it. Iím used to riding small (as small as 143) and playful boards. When I got back into riding more later in life I went up to a 158 directional (K2 Temptation) and thought it was too big and a little too rigid. As I rode mostly noodles when younger I went with the WWW after reading about reverse camber boards etc. I fell in love with the catch-free playfulness of the rocker profile. That said, I think the WWW is a little too soft and am looking for something with more pop, yet retains that faceplant saving action of the rocker board and would allow me to progress my riding. After some research Iíve come up with the following decks and am looking for something to sway me in the direction of one over the others (or maybe something I havenít considered):
  • Lib Tech TRS
  • K2 Fastplant
  • Capita Defenders of Awesome
  • Never Summer Proto HD

Looking for a more freestyle-oriented, true twin shape.

Thanks in advance.:bowdown:

poutanen 03-05-2014 02:31 PM

Nice profile pic! :D

Have you looked into any of the board with length reduction "technology" in them? I prefer a much longer board. At 175 I find a 158 to be the bottom end of what I like, but I'm charging groomers, and then riding deeper powder and trees.

The Burton Nug comes to mind. The one designed for a 175 lb rider is a 150. There are other similar boards out there.

The idea with those boards is, the flex is designed for a larger rider than the length would suggest.

Unless you like riding noodles?!?

Partyneverdies 03-05-2014 02:36 PM

Thanks on the pic!

I checked into the Nug but wasn't all that impressed. I'm not looking for a really tiny board, necessarily, I'm even considering upping my present 152 to a 154 or so. I think the 152 is a little on the smaller side for buttering, etc. as I tend to max the stance out, leaving only a little nose and tail room. So many choices :dizzy:

thatkidwho 03-05-2014 03:00 PM

Maybe check out rome mod or agent or the black snow of death. BsOD has a very interesting profile

Partyneverdies 03-05-2014 03:04 PM

The BSD did pique my interests, but I thought it was more of an all mountain directional shape? Also, it's on the bigger side, isn't it?

jliu 03-05-2014 03:05 PM

What about an Arbor Westmark?

Reverse Camber but with griptech so you wont wash out.

Not a noodle, but definitely playful.

Good amount of pop.

Or since you are 11.5 the Blacklist since its a midwide

Eat Sleep Shred 03-05-2014 03:19 PM

Would you be opposed to mixing in some flat to your rocker profile? If you would be open to that, most of the K2 line and quite a few Capita boards open up as potential options.

Boards like the K2 Raygun and Hit machine come to mind for stiffer rocker boards. The Ride Machete would be a little different profile than the WWW but I think it will fit the bill. I've ridden the NS Evo and the Rome Hammerhead and I loved them both for flatland tricks and general buffoonery, those are just as soft as the WWW. But if you're looking for more pop and a bit more stability those are two good candidates for sure.

Partyneverdies 03-05-2014 03:23 PM

Def not opposed to the flat profile. I was leaning heavy towards the Capita DOA, just looking for more info/experience. Buffoonery/flatland are kinda my MO, with a few smaller hits sprinkled in for good measure. Not necessarily looking for more stability, as I am pop.

chomps1211 03-05-2014 03:29 PM

This may seem out of left field as it's not a well known board mnfr. but check BA's review of the Marhar Throwback on Angry Snowboarder. David_Z has a review on it as well @ agnarchy.com. Marhar is a local(ish) for MN, MI. company. They are supposed to have some pretty good boards. The few ppl I've met riding them, have all had good things to say about them.

I've been very interested in that board myself. I've been wanting to maybe get a full rocker board in my line up, but since I'm riding mostly groomed ice more than half the time, I was concerned about how it holds a line or washing out. According to the reviews, the Throwback is supposed to have some pretty wicked edge hold. Only got to ride Dave's for a short run or two but it definitely whetted my interest.

Btw, I understand that for like $25, they can put any of their graphics on any board you choose, so don't be dissuaded if you're not crazy about the "Hippie" graphics on the throwback. :D

Partyneverdies 03-05-2014 03:43 PM

Interesting review. It would def be something worth checking into, the only thing I would be concerned about is the weight issue. But adding your own graphics is pretty rad! I used to ride local (Duluth, MN) boards back in the day by Swill. They had so sidewall and we capped all the way around.