Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Looking for opinions on a new snowboard. (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/132665-looking-opinions-new-snowboard.html)

Harjim 03-05-2014 07:28 PM

Looking for opinions on a new snowboard.

I currently ride a 158 Never Summer SL which I like but I am looking for something without a rocker (or much less of a rocker) which can still go in the park but also be stable at higher speeds. Not so much rails but definitely boxes and medium to large kickers.

5' 9"
170-180 lbs.
Size 11

I have been looking at the Salomon Time Machine and Assassin along with the offerings from Smokin with the Thrash Rocker (TTX) as well as the NS Ripsaw. I haven't had a chance to demo any and probably won't until next season opens up but I wanted to see what you guys think of these boards for what I want to do. If anyone has a completely different suggestion I would really like to hear it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

SkullAndXbones 03-06-2014 07:55 AM

it really depends on your budget. i don't know much about Smokin so i have no clue if they're good quality or not

if you want a salomon i'd suggest the Man's Board over the other 2. other choices to consider:

Lib Tech Darker Series - directional twin. C3BTX which is a hybrid with an over all camber shape

Lib Tech Hot Knife - true twin with C3BTX

Gnu Billy Goat - directional twin with C3BTX

Rome Anthem - directional with regular camber. i ride this board and i can tell you it's very fast and very stable

Rome Mod - true twin with regular camber

K2 Slayblade

Burton Custom X - directional with regular camber. very similar to the Rome Anthem

none of these boards should have a problem on boxes and they should all be great with medium - big kickers. if you plan on riding switch A LOT then i'd suggest one of the true twin boards. all of the boards i listed are fine to ride switch once in a while but the true twin boards will perform better in that area if you plan on doing it a lot. as far as the NS Ripsaw goes, it sounds like it would do the job but i don't know a whole lot about never summer other than they seem to be pretty well liked by the people that ride them. i know there's quite a few people here that ride never summer boards and a couple of them ride the ripsaw so maybe they can comment further on it

Harjim 03-06-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkullAndXbones (Post 1592586)
it really depends on your budget. i don't know much about Smokin so i have no clue if they're good quality or not

if you want a salomon i'd suggest the Man's Board over the other 2. other choices to consider:

Lib Tech Darker Series - directional twin. C3BTX which is a hybrid with an over all camber shape

Lib Tech Hot Knife - true twin with C3BTX

Gnu Billy Goat - directional twin with C3BTX

Rome Anthem - directional with regular camber. i ride this board and i can tell you it's very fast and very stable

Rome Mod - true twin with regular camber

K2 Slayblade

Burton Custom X - directional with regular camber. very similar to the Rome Anthem

none of these boards should have a problem on boxes and they should all be great with medium - big kickers. if you plan on riding switch A LOT then i'd suggest one of the true twin boards. all of the boards i listed are fine to ride switch once in a while but the true twin boards will perform better in that area if you plan on doing it a lot. as far as the NS Ripsaw goes, it sounds like it would do the job but i don't know a whole lot about never summer other than they seem to be pretty well liked by the people that ride them. i know there's quite a few people here that ride never summer boards and a couple of them ride the ripsaw so maybe they can comment further on it

Thanks a lot for your input. Ill def take a look into all of these boards and maybe try one or two out if they're available by some chance.