Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Boot recommendation..... (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/1330-boot-recommendation.html)

AK-Man 10-17-2007 04:17 AM

Boot recommendation.....

Hey all. It is time for me to order boots. I have been to the limited retailers in my area and none have boots that I think fit right or that I am interested in purchasing. I am going to order online.

At the retailers, size 12 was too big and size 11.5 was too small (different brands but selection was such that there were no same brand 11.5 and 12's).

Anyway, I am thinking of going with 11.5 (as I am told tighter is better than loose).

What I am looking for is brand name recommendations. I don't know a good boot from a bad boot so need to shop by brand I think. I am open to any other feedback.

I am brand new to snowboarding. I am 245 pounds and 6' 0" tall.

Any recommendations on brand would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

lisevolution 10-17-2007 09:48 AM

It's hard to order boots online... always better to try them on first. Generally some good boot brands are 32, Ride, Deeluxe, DC, Burton, Nitro, Vans, Salomon. Ride and Salomon make a nice lower profile boot that allow bigger feet to fit on a narrower board ex. if your an 11 you would normally need to a mid-wide or wide board but there footprint is more like a 9.5/10 so you can get away with a regular size board. I think a safe boot for you to try out online is the 32 Lashed. It's a very strong all around boot and feels like a skate shoe on your feet. It's not super stiff nor is it super soft where it'll break down easy. I just went with Nitro MFM boots for this year but I've ridden 32's, Ride's, Burtons and Vans. I can't comment on the MFM's since I haven't ridden with them yet, but my favorite boots were my Ride's.

st.stark 10-17-2007 11:43 AM

Yeah boots should feel a little bit tight at first...after a few times out the liner packs in and you'll have more room. So definately go 11.5. Also, then you can still just tighten them more so no worries about the tightness. :D Hope that helps!

AK-Man 10-17-2007 11:58 PM

Been boot shopping

1 Attachment(s)
Dudes,

I been all over town tonite looking for boots to purchase locally. I am either late or early cause inventories are way down. REI had a decent seletion but they are WAY to pricey. I think I am limited to online shopping despite your advice. I will ensure good fit and if those I order are too big or too small I will send them back and get a different size.

My question of the day has to do with lacing systems. I like the boots in the picture I attached (since I am new I am shopping by fashion and not by quality) but I am not sure if I should like the lacing system or not. These are not regular laces but some kind of cable deal. is this type of lacing system something you guys like or should I stick with normal everyday laces (which are probably easier to replace).

Check out pic. Thanks for your help.

PS - the boot is Burton Moto Snowboard Boot - Men's

st.stark 10-18-2007 12:56 AM

Yeah. I have the 08 Burton Motos with the same system. I tried them on in store before I bought them and they lace up really nice. They are easy to tighten and still will be once the boot packs out. Also to lace it up it's really easy...

PaoloSmythe 10-18-2007 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowolf
That is what is called a Boa system. They are very nice for ease of getting in and out of and from what I hear you can get them really tight without a lot of work. On the higher end stuff, they have zones that can be tightened independently to get a really custom fit.

forgive me as i glanced at most of the thread, so feel free to tell me to shut my big yap if i am mistaken (it could happen!)

but if you are saying the Burton Moto has the boa lace system, i am affriad that is not correct; the boa has the little wheelsyou crank up and metal wire laces that go thru 'runners'.

i believe like salamon, burton have designed their own quick lace system called 'speed zone', which you have to still pull on, but can tighten and lock down with a slide ratchet gizmo, rather than tying a bow.

st.stark 10-18-2007 09:32 AM

AH! That's right. I'm sorry I thought they were one and the same. *gulp* never mind what I said before then... :S

lisevolution 10-18-2007 10:26 AM

Just about every company is designing some form of quick lacing system these days... Ride and K2 have theirs, Nitro has TLS, Salomon and Burton also have it. Vans, DC, 32 and a couple of others use the BOA system... the problem with the regular BOA system from my experience trying them on is that they don't allow for easy adjustment of the lower laces and really only get tight on the top laces. They have fixed this with a dual zone BOA system like Paolo has on his new boots. The other companies are dual zone but quick lacing. I prefer traditional laces myself at least until all the kinks get worked out of these systems... everyone is different though.

In regards to REI being expensive, it's fine that they're expensive, because you can just use them to try on boots and find one's that fit your foot well then purchase them on line. REI sells a nice variety of boots use that to your advantage...

PaoloSmythe 10-18-2007 12:09 PM

i remember hassling REI to sell me my fargo focus (even if pricey to y'all, they're still much cheaper than over here!) but they refused to, as they claim Vans would quit supplying to them, due to some regional price fixing scam they got going on! bloody buggers! :D

storrisch 10-19-2007 12:34 AM

I just got the DC Allegiance w/ the Dual Boa system. I like that I can really crank the laces tight on the lower section and leave the top a little loose.