Suggestions... Flex vs Shape vs Size - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Suggestions... Flex vs Shape vs Size

I have a question for anybody that has experience riding a variety of shapes and sizes...

I currently ride a 158W (size 12 boot, 200 lbs) hybrid (rock,cam,rock) Forum Double Dog Destroyer (mid flex 5). I am pretty happy with it overall but I am thinking about changing it up to a full rocker to give myself a little more flexibility with ground tricks (butters, ollie, nollie, ect.)

My question is...

1. Will the change from hybrid to straight rocker give me the feel diff Im looking for even with the same flex?

2. Will I also need a mid soft instead of mid flex to get that feel?

3. Should I also consider going down to a 156W?

My area of improvement needed is on ground tricks and in the park (intermediate), I dont get on the hill enough to expect to be great in the park but def spend time on features and jumps when I get out. I like speed too but its not real high on my priority list.

Any advice/suggestions and/or board recommendations are appreciated!!!!
Likeawedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Its the rider not the equipment.

You have enough weight to control a mid-flex board. It should feel like a jib board to you.
24WERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

The straight rocker vs hybrid and size is the question. I have played around with my buddy's Arbor 156 rocker and it's much more playful and easy to control. I'm a decent rider and am aware of the skill level/effort required for certain tricks. The Forum I ride is not the easiest to maneuver. He says he loses very little control with speed and he's coming from riding basically the same board I ride now (size and shape) but it was a Never Summer.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Rocker between the bindings definitely makes the board easier to butter, but I've found that your current setup with camber between the bindings and rocker in the tips makes them easier to ride out once you have it locked in. That's just been my experience. I'm not much of a butterer though, so don't read too much into that.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Appreciate the input. I guess the difference I'm looking for is the amount of effort it takes to nose or tail press. My goal is to get better at doing 180s and such out of those presses on rollers and on flat ground. I know skill level plays a factor as mentioned but I need to give myself the best setup option to do so. Then maybe the board won't matter as much. I feel like I'm having to put too much effort into making the board flex to pop and press. Is it just me or will a rocker/shorter board make learning these skills easier in the short term?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Sounds like you have made up your mind… So go buy CRC board.
SnowDogWax is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
board, flex, shape, size