New, leftover or used? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
richedie

Default New, leftover or used?

I have a dilema. I like supporting my local snowboard shop and am in the market for a Rome Flag 168. Should I just place the order or try to find cheaper online or a leftover? 168s are hard to find.

I just feel better supporting the local shop....hoping other who can afford to do so will as well. We have a good local shop owned by decent people and I hate to see the larger ski/snowboard shops put them out of business.

Flag 168s are almost impossible to find leftover (06/07).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I just went through the same dilemna involving last years Flag in 168. The differences between this year and last year are a new core with the internal impact plates and also there new smart base which acclimates to the snow temperature so it supposedly does not require waxing. The guys from Rome said that unless your doing 50 ft kickers in the backcountry the impact plates are just a nice feature and you won't notice the difference in ridability. It was impossible for me to find an 06/07 flag in 168 locally so I had to get mine from an online shop that was a demo from last year. Also they are near impossible to find online anyway in 168 and I just got lucky to find it. I say if you can find one locally and it's at a discount locally go for it otherwise get this years.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Well Id have the shop call ahead and make sure they can secure one, or see if they have one in stock. You can support them all you want but if they can't get what you want and you hold out on another source youll be suprised how hard you can kick yourself in the ass when they are all gone and you don't have one.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

This is very true...the 168 is difficult to find period even in a 08. I know a place that just got one on order Skirack of Burlington, VT - Skis, Outdoor Gear and Clothing from Fischer, Rossignol, Karhu, Patagonia, Salomon, The North Face and more. if you can't get it locally or anywhere else...
Old 10-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
richedie

Thanks!!!!!! My local shop, says they can get this year's for me! I have to pay shipping since it is special order. I can't find any online anywhere....only Burtons in 168. I hate to think I'll just get another Burton as I've ridden for years.

My 07 Rome Targa bindings just arrived as well.

New core????? Better????
Smart base???? Can you really avoid waxing!?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That link I posted has this years 168 in stock, they just got it, and you may not have to pay shipping which could save you a couple of bucks, unless you really want to support the local shop, which I am all for!
Old 10-20-2007, 08:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
richedie

Thanks! I am going to call the shop today to ensure they can get the board and the cost of shipping. I am assuming shipping a board will be $50 or less. To support the local board shop, I can do that.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richedie
Smart base???? Can you really avoid waxing!?
Not sure about how effective it is, the guys at rome seemed stoked on it though. In terms of the new core it was more a durability thing than anything. They added "impact plates" at the pressure points to reinforce it. The guys said that both last years and this years boards would ride awesome though and unless you're doing 50ft back country kickers the impact plates wouldn't be that significant...
Old 10-22-2007, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
st.stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution
Not sure about how effective it is, the guys at rome seemed stoked on it though. In terms of the new core it was more a durability thing than anything. They added "impact plates" at the pressure points to reinforce it. The guys said that both last years and this years boards would ride awesome though and unless you're doing 50ft back country kickers the impact plates wouldn't be that significant...
Hm... good to know.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

definitely is... I'm super stoked on Rome right now wish I would've given them a chance a few years ago, but went with Ride instead, no regrets with my Ride equipment, just wished someone would've opened my eyes a bit sooner. The guys at Rome are like us, they want the customers to be happy and are willing to do what it takes to make it so. When I was up in the air about what to get, they basically said to me, when you get up to Stowe give me a ring and I'll let you demo a board from our Factory, if I don't have one available I'll stop at one of the shops and get you a free demo anyway just so you can try it out. They're all about meeting up with them and taking runs. What other company does that? Totally closed me on the merits of them as a growing company which I will now support 110%.