Can my girlfriend use my board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can my girlfriend use my board?

Dudes and dudettes, so my girl wants to give the sport a shot and I want her to fall in love with it to be honest - trying my best to ensure her first day goes better than the average wrist-breaking tailbone-cracking frustration filled day aka my first day

I am gonna lend her my asspad I bought while learning and already got her Level gloves with wristguards (she has weak wrists so this was a must). Now she will have to rent her equip, but I have an old 156 park pickle (mens) laying around. So she can just rent bindings and boots and grab the board.

Considering we are on the east coast the magnetraction and rocker will really prevent edge catching and raise confidence on this icy surface while learning - i know I was deathly afraid of edges after the first few catches, as well as passing a segment of ice...

My question boils down to, is it okay for her to use a 156cm mens board to learn? she is about 5'9-5'10 and 130lbs with a pretty big foots, a womens 9-10.

TL;DR:
-girlfriend first time riding
-my park pickle 156cm (mens)
-GF dimensions: 5'9-5'10, 130lbs
- yes? no? maybe?
KayZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

She is probably ok on that board...
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Is it ideal, not really, but she's going to be on her ass all day, regardless of what board she takes out so it doesn't make a difference.

Just put her on it and see how she likes it, if she starts to show an interest, pick up a more user-friendly setup on Craigslist or something.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
Is it ideal, not really, but she's going to be on her ass all day, regardless of what board she takes out so it doesn't make a difference.

Just put her on it and see how she likes it, if she starts to show an interest, pick up a more user-friendly setup on Craigslist or something.

The question is whether a rental womens non-magnetraction most-likely-cambered board is a better choice as opposed to a slightly oversized forgiving rocker with magnetraction for a first day of learning.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayZ View Post
The question is whether a rental womens non-magnetraction most-likely-cambered board is a better choice as opposed to a slightly oversized forgiving rocker with magnetraction for a first day of learning.
Your call. She's going to be on her ass regardless, and won't even be able to tell the difference in tech on boards. It'll be frustrating for her on either one :/

If you put a gun to my head and told me to choose one, I'd go with the actual womens' board...because, you know, it's going to be specifically designed for a female.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
YES
The reg camber board will be easier for her to engage her edge to learn her basic turns. A softer park board can be to noodlely for a beginner and require her to over emphasize the turn. Which is good but as a 1st timer there is so much going on, might want to give her the best opportunity to succeed on her 1st outing.
Plus a longer board takes more effort for a beginner to engage the edges. A shorter board would be my vote.
and you really won't need magnatraction on the "snow-bunny hill"

Last edited by slyder; 03-09-2014 at 02:49 PM.
slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
Your call. She's going to be on her ass regardless, and won't even be able to tell the difference in tech on boards. It'll be frustrating for her on either one :/

If you put a gun to my head and told me to choose one, I'd go with the actual womens' board...because, you know, it's going to be specifically designed for a female.
Good call. Thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyder View Post
YES
The reg camber board will be easier for her to engage her edge to learn her basic turns. A softer park board and be to noodlely for a beginner
The flex on the pickle is about 6-7... its rather stiff. Does your opinion regarding it being too noodlely still stand given that info?

EDIT: read your edit. makes sense. rental it is, i guess!
Old 03-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Dudes and dudettes, so my girl wants to give the sport a shot and I want her to fall in love with it to be honest - trying my best to ensure her first day goes better than the average wrist-breaking tailbone-cracking frustration filled day aka my first day

I am gonna lend her my asspad I bought while learning and already got her Level gloves with wristguards (she has weak wrists so this was a must). Now she will have to rent her equip, but I have an old 156 park pickle (mens) laying around. So she can just rent bindings and boots and grab the board.

Considering we are on the east coast the magnetraction and rocker will really prevent edge catching and raise confidence on this icy surface while learning - i know I was deathly afraid of edges after the first few catches, as well as passing a segment of ice...

My question boils down to, is it okay for her to use a 156cm mens board to learn? she is about 5'9-5'10 and 130lbs with a pretty big foots, a womens 9-10.

TL;DR:
-girlfriend first time riding
-my park pickle 156cm (mens)
-GF dimensions: 5'9-5'10, 130lbs
- yes? no? maybe?
Good idea with the rental plan. Be sure they size her to her weight, not her height. Is she of an athletic build? At her 130lb weight, I'd think anything from high 140's to low 150's would work well. Maybe something like a 148 to 151 at most. (For reference: I'm female, 5'8", 120lbs athletic build, size 8 boot, also ride the east coast; my shortest board is a stiffer 146).

As already mentioned, since it's her first time out, she might prefer a shorter board for learning. The length of your 156 park pickle is the biggest reason I wouldn't put her on it for learning. Especially if your goal is to have her fall in love with snowboarding. I wouldn't worry so much about the camber vs rocker or magne non magne issue. What's more important is she have the proper size for her weight as a beginner.

Good luck, hope she has fun.
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For learning I would take a stiffer center rocker board like the pickle over a softer camber board. That said call your local resort and see what type of rentals they offer. Even my shit little resort upgraded to soft full rocker boards for their rentals a few years ago. Soft full rocker is what is preferred to make learning less hurtful.

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Too long/stiff for a light first timer, will make it harder and more frustrating than it has to be. 156 is long for 130lbs even for a non-beginner.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote