Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Best 1st setup for 1st time boarder (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/133362-best-1st-setup-1st-time-boarder.html)

Wombat23 03-09-2014 04:28 PM

Best 1st setup for 1st time boarder

Hi I'm going to go snowboarding for the 1st time, I want to buy all my own gear. I really have no idea but I went for it anyway using information from forums board reviews etc.

I ended up buying a skate banana 156 ( I'm 510 and 180 pounds) and union factory bindings, I think I will buy boots in Austria because I want to try them on before I buy. Is this a good setup for a 1st time boarder? I surf a lot and skate occasionally so I guess as Fas as snowboarding go's I want to cruise the mountain and do punts and carves and also spend a bit of time in the park!

The reason I'm posting is I'm thinking I might return the board and get a TRS instead. Is this a good idea or should I stick with the skate banana?

Also any suggestion on boots that would suit these board and bindings and the type of snowboarding I think I will be doing.

jml22 03-09-2014 04:31 PM

Boots = buy the comfiest ones you try on out of 100000 pairs.
Surfing is different, your weight is more to the rear at times to turn where snowboarding your weight is forward to initiate turns
I repeat your weight is on your front edge to initiate your turns
Your weight is on your front edge to initiate your turns
Where is your weight when you initiate turns?
Your front edge

Wombat23 03-09-2014 04:36 PM

Hahah where, which edge? Yeah I have bought all my gear online however I think it will be wiser to go into a shop and try some on and just buy what fits best and is most comfortable.

What do you think about my board selection for my 1st board, should I stick with the skate banana or go for the TRS which from what I have read will be better outside of the park, carving jumping etc?

ridinbend 03-09-2014 04:37 PM

97 Attachment(s)
For your first time it won't matter whether you have the sb or the trs. It won't matter for a while. Spend your money on some cush boots. Everybody has a preference. Just go try on as many as possible and buy what feels best.

john doe 03-09-2014 04:50 PM

I mostly learned on a TRS but it was an older camber one. If I was buying a board now I would buy the TRS over the banana. But if I was a beginner I would want the Skatebanana and not the TRS. Keep the Skatebanana. It will be a great board to learn on and you will probably want to keep it around, after you learn, for park riding.

Wombat23 03-09-2014 05:02 PM

Yeah thanks John Doe, that's what I was sort of thinking when I bought the SB. The I came across some ppl writing it off which made me think maybe I should get the TRS.

Also having never boarder before is there anything else I need to buy?

So far i have got

Goggles
Thermals
Jacket
Pants
Mitts
Board
Bindings
Boots will buy over there

Anything I'm missing?

Tatanka Head 03-09-2014 05:24 PM

Don't forget your GoPro, dude!

Dago91 03-09-2014 06:11 PM

Yeah dude get a helmet.. protect yo melon!!

Alkasquawlik 03-09-2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridinbend (Post 1599826)
For your first time it won't matter whether you have the sb or the trs. It won't matter for a while. Spend your money on some cush boots. Everybody has a preference. Just go try on as many as possible and buy what feels best.

This x 10000

You won't be able to tell the difference between the two boards anyway.

Loftness 03-09-2014 07:22 PM

Boots are number one importance!! Try on a bunch of different brands. Walk around in them in the store. Look for pressure points that might develop. Find good heel hold. Overall comfort.

The other stuff you can buy online, but not boots.

First board style doesn't matter as much unless you jump on an aggressive design. You'll learn whatever you buy.

And protect your head. Find a comfortable helmet.