How important is twintip for freeride switch? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
unit11

Default How important is twintip for freeride switch?

I like to freeride a lot, but the only boards I've ever ridden were biased rentals. Because of that, I've always been a little nervous about riding switch while going at speed down a trail. Should I worry about board biasness on piste? Or should I consider investing in a twintip? Planning to get a board regardless, just don't know what to look for...

The reason I ask is that I usually see twintips marketed entirely for the freestyle audience, and I really only ride freestyle with the occasional small jump or ollie thrown in for kicks. Is twintip important for landing jumps/ollies with a 180?

Sorry for being a newb. Thanks for helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Most snowboards nowadays are twin tip... what you are talking about in terms of twin is that the bindings are equidistant from either end correct? Assuming that is the case you do not have to worry about riding switch on or off piste with a "directional" board, it just won't be as easy or responsive switch as a true twin. A lot of times you'll see directional twin tips where the side cut of the edge is designed to be ridden on way but the board can be ridden either way with out issue. The only boards that are very difficult to ride switch would be true powder boards that have a heavy rear tapered tip or even a split tip in some circumstances.

What it sounds like to me is that you want an "All-Mountain" board that is capable of going anywhere and doing anything. If you let us know some vitals such as weight, shoe size, height, where you are riding, and how much experience you have you will get some very good recomendations.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Its fine not having a twin for freeride, the majority of people who freeride will have slightly directional boards and you can still ride switch great, I dont have an issue with riding switch on mine which is directional and landing switch is ok. Saying that if I rode all park I probably would get a true twin, but if your mostly riding outside I wouldnt worry too much.
Snowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
snowboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution
Most snowboards nowadays are twin tip... what you are talking about in terms of twin is that the bindings are equidistant from either end correct?
A twin tip is a board that if cut in half at the waist, both halves would be exactly the same. Not only in shape but in construction as well.

And you don't need one. Any board will work.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i learned switch on a slightly directional board. its no biggie at all.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
unit11

Cool, thanks for the fast response! Glad to know I won't have to worry about it.

Last edited by unit11; 10-17-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
unit11

Snowolf - Thanks. That actually makes a lot of sense! Glad I don't have to worry about the twin thing.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
st.stark

Oh, and I don't think anyone cares, but technically riding switch is when you switch your bindings around so that you ride goofy if you regularly ride regular or vise versa...what you actually mean is fakie. But nobody prolly cares so I'll shut up now...heh
Old 10-18-2007, 04:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.stark
Oh, and I don't think anyone cares, but technically riding switch is when you switch your bindings around so that you ride goofy if you regularly ride regular or vise versa...what you actually mean is fakie. But nobody prolly cares so I'll shut up now...heh
I've never in my life heard someone call it fakie. I always thought that fakie is just tricks off of the nose whilst riding switch like in skating.
Snowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
st.stark

Check this out...
Fakie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It seems I was a bit off there. Riding opposite your normal stance is switch and doing a trick then in switch is called doing a fakie trick...who knew? lol