First Board, have a few ideas but still unsure. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
xmasrider

Default First Board, have a few ideas but still unsure.

Hi all,

I am on the hunt for my first board. I am a semi-beginner looking for a good freeride board in the 153-158 cm range, I weigh around 160 lbs. I'm a size 10 shoe so probably a size 9 boot. I dont go in the park or anything so just looking for something to get better at carving and everything with. I ride on the east coast primarily at Sugarloaf. I am looking to spend under $250 on my board. So far I have a couple of ideas and these are them:

Atomic Exeter 155cm
Forum Recon 156 cm
K2 Darkstar
Rome Crail

What do you guys think? are there other boards worth taking a look at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
DennisK

I recommend this board to every noob, for under 200 bucks its a pretty nice board helped me progress alot...
08 Rossignol Alias 155cm Snowboard - Goldstocks Sporting Goods - Goldstocks Sporting Goods

Burton Avenger's take on it
Quote:
29. 155 Rossignol Alias with Flow M9 (07/08)
Stance 22.5 18 Negative 15 Goofy
Boots: Vans Fargo Boas Size 11
Conditions: sunny bluebird day about 30 degrees great conditions
One Word: Fun

I can't describe in words how much fun this board was. For something in the 350-dollar price point this board slayed. Straight up fun, it was poppy, lively, stable under foot, great side cut. It reminded me of riding a Hatchet, which is awesome as everyone knows, that was one of my favorite boards for the longest time. This board just handled it all well and at that price point I would recommend it. The bindings were a bit softer than I'd have liked but then again itís supposed to be that way itís a mid level binding. It did everything I wanted it to do even for having some technical issues I went over with the rep on. Flow makes a solid product.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
kMc

you could also look at the atomic hatchet.
kMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i have the forum recon 156. its good on icy conditions but i have only been on it once. everyone says it will get a little softer as i ride it but it seemed a little stiff to me. i was in rental boots that sucked and i had a lot of difficulties with heel lift that day but i have since got some boots that fit much better and in my living room it felt much improved and i could twist and bend the board better with me feet. i think i will like it better now but i probably would have gotten the forum manual over the recon if i did it over again. the recon was on sale on dogfunk for 179 a few weeks ago, thats really cheap.
c_mack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Darkstar, Crail and Recon aren't really freeride boards. Good to learn on and progress eventually into park, but if you're hitting the steep and deep you'll want something bigger and stiffer.

But then again, there aren't many freeride beginner boards.
markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
xmasrider

What freeride beginner boards do you think I should go with? I would love to get one of these
Old 02-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rome Solution could be a decent board to 'grow into'
UncleRico is offline   Reply With Quote