Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Flex Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/134474-flex-boards.html)

marie4214 03-14-2014 04:54 PM

Flex Boards

:icon_scratch: I guess I need a board that is flexable so how do I determine if a board has more flex than the next board?

wrathfuldeity 03-14-2014 05:05 PM

by flexing them and looking at the flex rating on their spec/tech sheet it will also relate to the beginner, intermediate, advanced and expert level. In general, softer for ground tricks, stiffer for expert level. Since there are no valid anchor point standard or reference...flex rating is generally relative rank order within but not across various manufactures/brands.

And there is also a torsional stiffness which relates to how easily or not a board twists.

baldylox 03-14-2014 05:06 PM

Stack cinder blocks 3 feet apart. Place snowboard on cinder blocks. Place 20 lbs plate on center of snowboard. Measure the flex. Repeat with additional snowboards....

.....or trust the manufacturer.

...or ride them.

marie4214 03-14-2014 05:14 PM

thanks for the advice. I weigh 113 pounds and was told because I don't weigh much I would need a more flexible board. I only ski and want to snowboard.:)

stan_darsh 03-14-2014 05:59 PM

i would advise to try out a few different kind of boards before buying one, and also to try snowboarding and see if you like it.

as a skateboarder of 17 years, i bought a setup after trying snowboarding once... even though i did an obsessive amount of research before buying, i'm now to find out that i'm very lucky to have purchased all the right stuff... i'd assume that most people aren't so lucky.

there are a lot of people on this board with some knowledge on all the stuff out there, if you tell them where you'll be riding mostly, and what type of riding you'll want to be doing, they can most likely get you started with some good suggestions on what boards will fit the bill for you

marie4214 03-14-2014 06:11 PM

thanks a million! Maybe I should rent different boards before buying one Stan

marie4214 03-14-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stan_darsh (Post 1613890)
i would advise to try out a few different kind of boards before buying one, and also to try snowboarding and see if you like it.

as a skateboarder of 17 years, i bought a setup after trying snowboarding once... even though i did an obsessive amount of research before buying, i'm now to find out that i'm very lucky to have purchased all the right stuff... i'd assume that most people aren't so lucky.

there are a lot of people on this board with some knowledge on all the stuff out there, if you tell them where you'll be riding mostly, and what type of riding you'll want to be doing, they can most likely get you started with some good suggestions on what boards will fit the bill for you

:thumbsup: