Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Getting first board tuning - should I? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/134714-getting-first-board-tuning-should-i.html)

Kaitlyn2004 03-16-2014 11:33 AM

Getting first board tuning - should I?

I just picked up snowboarding for first time this year - the Burton Deja Vu Flying V. As I understand it, they haae a great factory tuning and I've been very satisfied with the ride.

I've gone probably ~7 times this year to Blue Mountain, which has mostly hard groomed snow and more-than-average icy patches. I've also tried some glades and have gotten some nicks on my board.

Given that I'll be doing a ~5-6 day ski+snowboard trip, I'm wondering if I should get them tuned before I leave.

1) How do I know if I "should" or "need to"?
2) Anything I can do about the surface nicks? Mainly don't want them to get any larger!
3) If it's been serving me fine here in Ontario weather, surely it should be even better conditions in Vermont and maybe I wouldn't even need the tuning?

scottb7 03-16-2014 11:38 AM

Don't tune.

Lamps 03-16-2014 12:27 PM

If you can brush your fingernail against the edge, upwards, and it shaves it, it's still sharp.

If you'll be in collingwood once more go to mountainside or squire johns and get a hand wax done. Ask them to show you how to test for sharpness, they're good people at both shops.

I suspect your edges aren't dull yet but 7 icy days at blue might have dulled them.

If the nicks are small ignore them, post a pic if unsure.

BearPaw 03-16-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottb7 (Post 1616554)
Don't tune.

^^^..THIS..^^^

Also, some places will de-tune your board when you buy it without asking you, i.e. automatically they will do it. You need to tell them to leave it alone, (if you even see them with a file in their hands say no deal if they touch the board). Also have them strip the factory wax and re-wax properly. Factory wax is not worth riding on. It wears off so fast you will have dry patches all over your new board, which may expose the board to damage. They might say to ride it for a few days and then get it waxed (say no thanks, strip/re-wax).

Update: As Scotty100 points out below, to detune or not is based on your riding interests. I prefer (very) high speed technical carving on groomed runs, so no detuning for me. :)

I now essentially only ride my Never Summer Ripsaw X, which is an expert level high speed full twin groomer carving board. Its not designed for the terrain park much less jibbing.

FYI in my personal experience I fully agree with this review of the saw: http://thegoodride.com/snowboard-rev...buying-advice/

scotty100 03-16-2014 10:48 PM

^Actually, in many instances you may want the board detuned. Tip and tail...or all over for jibbing etc.

BearPaw 03-16-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty100 (Post 1617706)
^Actually, in many instances you may want the board detuned. Tip and tail...or all over for jibbing etc.

True, depends on what you like to do. I don't ride park but I am told detuning is needed riding park. Thanks for slowing me down, I corrected my previous post. :)

Lamps 03-17-2014 03:59 AM

I don't think the OP wants to know about detuning, she wants to know if she should sharpen her board b/c she has been riding a lot of ice and hardpack, and is concerned the edges are getting dull.

PorkCereal 03-17-2014 04:15 AM

Don't think 7 days would hurt your edges much. I would do a good fresh wax and let it ride.

BearPaw 03-17-2014 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamps (Post 1617937)
I don't think the OP wants to know about detuning, she wants to know if she should sharpen her board b/c she has been riding a lot of ice and hardpack, and is concerned the edges are getting dull.

Retread op, your correct,