Topsheet Crack? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Topsheet Crack?

Hi Guys,

First time posting here, so I apologize if I didn't post this in the right place or something, but I had a question about this topsheet "crack". I'm not entirely sure what is going on here but I'm hoping you guys with more experience can tell me what is going on. I'm also not sure if this is something I should be worried about or something I should epoxy.

The bump in the topsheet has spider cracks from the sidewall on the rear heel side binding in towards the binding about 2-2.5" (photo 1). the bump isn't more than like 2mm high it appears (photo 1).

My friend took to a shop to get post-season prepared, and I told him to mention to the guy about the small bump in the top sheet. The report from the guy at the shop was that is was only cosmetic. And he seemed to epoxy the sidewall nicely (photo 2).

However, when I came back from a trip to examine the board again, I flexed the board, and that's when I realized the topsheet bump separates from the rest of the board. I'm not sure if that's just the topsheet splitting away or part of the core or what not (photo 3). This is what scared me, and I am not sure whether the guy at the shop knew that/flexed it to see how the bump responded. This is because the shop's epoxy work doesn't seal anymore when I flex the board.

So I'm posting here to see what you guys think. Is it something serious? How could it have happened? I did buy this used, but I can't remember if I saw this on the board before or after I used it for about a week in December. I bought this board used from a snow store where they said they check all the boards before they are allowed to sell them, and that only the good boards are sold.

Thanks for the help guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140316_102420.jpg (36.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140316_102451.jpg (59.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140316_102501.jpg (53.2 KB, 49 views)
onitsukatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Rooster King

looks like you "partially" snapped the core half way across the board.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

How so? What are you looking for? All I can see is that the white "layer" is separating, which I would think is just the white part/graphics part of the snowboard (topsheet). Where is the core? I thought it would be deeper in?

I'm just trying to learn here.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Rooster King

you usually only see the topsheet ripple up like that when the core has cracked.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yep, looks like you busted it. Those clear coated top sheets can sometimes crack or spider web under stress and the board is fine. Matter of fact, every clear coated top sheet board I've ever had has eventually developed some cracks. Essentially just cosmetic damage. But if there's a bulge or ripple like that, especially with a blown out sidewall, you've probably busted it.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Okay thanks for the input. The board still feels the exact same - either the crack's not that bad, or (hopefully - crossing my fingers) its just a cosmetic crack. I'm going to epoxy it up either way, and ride more vigilantly to see if the board changes.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

you can ask burton if this can be warranty, send these photo first and call them to follow up.
ttccnn is offline   Reply With Quote