Camber Vs Reverse Camber - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Camber Vs Reverse Camber

I am considering buying another snowboard, and I have been looking at the Gnu Billy Goat, but have also been trying to find a burton board.

I currently have a Gnu Carbon Credit Wide board which as been great for my little bit of snowboarding, but I would like to keep that as a powder board, and get something different. I finally got a couple day to ride in some powder, and the board did awesome " i think ". I didn't set the bindings back when I rode in the pow, but I would like to set it up strictly for pow.

My main concern is that from what I read on this site that cambered boards are extremely unforgiving, and they make it a lot easier to catch your edge. I fully understand the differences between the camber designs, but I am unable to grasp how the different cambers actually FEEL once riding. A very easy solution to that problem would be to just rent a few different boards while there, but I like to complicate everything .

I am also wanting to use burton cartels on the new board. I am curious to see what snowboarding is like in traditional bindings, plus my boots are burton, so I would also like to see if maybe the boots will fit/feel better inside the same brand; which also falls into why I have been looking @ burton boards.

I have only been on green runs, and am only looking for a board that fits that role of snowboarding. Thanks for reading my book =D
NewbALewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you want a powder board, get a powder board.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
If you want a powder board, get a powder board.
This. Use your carbon credit as your every day board and buy a pow specific board. Go research them, demo if you can. Or just buy a hovercraft and be done
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I never feel smart after posting on this forum......
NewbALewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbALewb View Post
To answer your topic question.

Camber is generally going to feel a lot more responsive than a straight reverse camber board. You are going to feel the edge catch a lot earlier than on any hybrid or reverse camber board. In my opinion nothing beats the pop of a camber board.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I am considering buying another snowboard, and I have been looking at the Gnu Billy Goat, but have also been trying to find a burton board.

I currently have a Gnu Carbon Credit Wide board which as been great for my little bit of snowboarding, but I would like to keep that as a powder board, and get something different. I finally got a couple day to ride in some powder, and the board did awesome " i think ". I didn't set the bindings back when I rode in the pow, but I would like to set it up strictly for pow.

My main concern is that from what I read on this site that cambered boards are extremely unforgiving, and they make it a lot easier to catch your edge. I fully understand the differences between the camber designs, but I am unable to grasp how the different cambers actually FEEL once riding. A very easy solution to that problem would be to just rent a few different boards while there, but I like to complicate everything .

I am also wanting to use burton cartels on the new board. I am curious to see what snowboarding is like in traditional bindings, plus my boots are burton, so I would also like to see if maybe the boots will fit/feel better inside the same brand; which also falls into why I have been looking @ burton boards.

I have only been on green runs, and am only looking for a board that fits that role of snowboarding. Thanks for reading my book =D
Get a hovercraft. End of story
Bamfboardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
I am considering buying another snowboard, and I have been looking at the Gnu Billy Goat,

Only been on greens...Billy Goat will beat your ass
Old 03-17-2014, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
nothing but snipers waiting to take a shot! lol
czoid74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by czoid74 View Post
nothing but snipers waiting to take a shot! lol
Ok I'll be a little more direct.

1) I'm going to use my Carbon Credit as a powder board. Should I get a billy goat to ride groomers?

a) Please don't do this. Your Carbon Credit is not a powder board. You can't turn a board into a powder board. Either it is (hovercraft, fish, powder snake, etc..) or it isn't (everything else). Powder specific boards pretty much suck compared to anything else outside of powder. Yes they can be ridden. No, it wont be that bad. However, if you have 2 boards. Why bother?

2) How does a camber board feel when riding?

a) Really depends on the shape and how stiff the board is. However, generally speaking it will be more responsive all other things being equal. e.g same shape, same stiffness, same everything except camber profile. The traditional camber will be more responsive.

Now, how does that feel? Well, it is going to feel like your edge is catching a lot sooner than "normal". Also the limits are much more pronounced. e.g You'll catch and edge and fall or almost fall much easier when you make a mistake. The are things you can do like detuning contact points a little. Detuning the nose and tail edges (if you have them). etc..

All that being said please remember that camber is a personal choice and no one camber profile is going to really make you a better rider.

3) Are the cartels going to work for your new board?

a) yes. no matter what.

4) What Burton boards should you look at?

a) Burton's powder boards options are as follows

Burton Cloud Splitter
Pow only. Super rad shape.

Burton Fish
This is probably one of my favorite boards when it comes to Burton's lineup. like the Jones' Hovercraft and a few other boards. It is just a lot of fun to ride and the deeper it gets the more fun it is. Unlike the cloud splitter this board can be ridden after things are tracked out.

Burton Landlord
Great powder board with a little more versatility than the previous two.

Burton Barracuda
Awesome board. I haven't heard anything negative about it. Not as illustrious as the Landlord in terms of pedigree but it is also cheaper.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

OP opened his account in 2011.... only rides greens in 2014.... wants a Billy Goat for said greens and a Carbon credit for pow.

Son, you be trollin?
>(insert meme)
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote