Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Best suited Woman's board to ride in Japan? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/134986-best-suited-womans-board-ride-japan.html)

Tarynne123 03-17-2014 05:24 PM

Best suited Woman's board to ride in Japan?

HI Guys, I have just spent the last week and half in Japan Snowboarding. Truly amazing snow. I am an intermediate rider, just starting to come off the groomed runs in search for untouched powdered runs thou the trees. Although I still a lot slower then most of the riders I follow.

I am currently riding a Muse 154, I am pretty sure it is a twin and regular camber. I have had the board for almost 10 years but only used it a few times.
I am looking at a few GNU boards but I am a little stuck on what size and shape to go for.
I am 163cm and weigh 52kgs. I am quite a small framed person. I think the type of riding I will mainly be doing is groomed and off the groomed runs thou the trees.
I find my board a little hard to turn and would like something a little easier and responsive to ride. Although I do think my current board is stable and I like that too.
Any suggestions would be great as I would like to get a new board before Winter to get use to it on the Aussie snow fields before taking it back to Japan.
Cheers
Tarynne

Bamfboardman 03-17-2014 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarynne123 (Post 1619202)
HI Guys, I have just spent the last week and half in Japan Snowboarding. Truly amazing snow. I am an intermediate rider, just starting to come off the groomed runs in search for untouched powdered runs thou the trees. Although I still a lot slower then most of the riders I follow.

I am currently ridding a Muse 154, I am pretty sure it is a twin and regular camber. I have had the board for almost 10 years but only used it a few times.
I am looking at a few GNU boards but I am a little stuck on what size and shape to go for.
I am 163cm and weigh 52kgs. I am quite a small framed person. I think the type of ridding I will mainly be doing is groomed and off the groomed runs thou the trees.
I find my board a little hard to turn and would like something a little easier and responsive to ride. Although I do think my current board is stable and I like that too.
Any suggestions would be great as I would like to get a new board before Winter to get use to it on the Aussie snow fields before taking it back to Japan.
Cheers
Tarynne

I would go women hovercraft 152

Tarynne123 03-17-2014 06:30 PM

Thank you Bamfboardman. I read up on the board and love it(looks great too). It says its more of an advanced board and that worries me a little, as I am not advanced. Also would it be any good on the Australian snow fields? I will need to use it once or twice a year on it when we take our two small boys to the snow, Although I think most of our ridding will be in Japan as the snow there is so addictive.

ETM 03-17-2014 06:45 PM

Boards that are too wide are difficult to turn. That could be your issue

Bamfboardman 03-17-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarynne123 (Post 1619346)
Thank you Bamfboardman. I read up on the board and love it(looks great too). It says its more of an advanced board and that worries me a little, as I am not advanced. Also would it be any good on the Australian snow fields? I will need to use it once or twice a year on it when we take our two small boys to the snow, Although I think most of our ridding will be in Japan as the snow there is so addictive.

I wouldn't worry about the labeling of the board. You should do fine. It might be a little stiffer and more responsive then what you're used to but it will hold from powder to gromers. The camber will deal with edge and the rocker in tip will float you through the pow.

tokyo_dom 03-17-2014 07:24 PM

Similar height weight to my wife, yet she rides a 143... No problems on any groomed runs and through trees etc.

Admittedly she does tend to come to a stop in deep powder, but i think that is more of a problem with her slowing down intentionally, than the board. I am 70kg and ride my 152 through the same pow grinning ear to ear.

Tarynne123 03-18-2014 04:12 PM

Thank you for your advice, I am currently in the process of ordering a Hovercraft 152 from the US. But would just like to double check the size. Should I stick to this size or go a little smaller?
I am 163cm tall and weigh between and 50 and 52kgs.
Also I am going to invest in some new bindings, I like the idea of the flow bindings, but want to make sure they are going to keep my feet really secure and in place as I always struggle to find the right balance between my boots and bindings. The best way for me to ride is for the bindings and boots to be so tight that they cut off my circulation, that way I get very little heal lift.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

wrathfuldeity 03-18-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarynne123 (Post 1621690)
The best way for me to ride is for the bindings and boots to be so tight that they cut off my circulation, that way I get very little heal lift.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

should not have to crank down laces and binding straps to prevent heel lift...by doing this you are applying the wrong force thus cutting off circulation, boot laces and binding straps only need to be a bit snug. Heel lift is fixed by doing mods to the liners of the boot and with good insoles...see below for ideas to mod liners

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boo...s-faq-etc.html

ridinbend 03-18-2014 04:46 PM

A bunch of gals riding in the Dirksen derby looked real confident on sick sticks surprisingly. Best of luck.

Tarynne123 03-18-2014 07:40 PM

Thanks for the advice on the boots and bindings, I think I know where I am going wrong with them. Any advice on what size board I should be buying? Looks like I am going for a Hovercraft.