Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   K2 happy hour for buttering? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/135370-k2-happy-hour-buttering.html)

chaoechidna 03-19-2014 07:11 PM

K2 happy hour for buttering?
 
Hey guys, I'm super interested in the K2 Happy Hour, but I am really conflicted. I REALLY want to learn how to butter, ever since I started boarding years back I wanted to learn after seeing two kids spinning like helicopters down the mountain. I ride a HUGE K2 anagram, 163, waaaay too large for me to flex or bend or even come close to buttering, let alone lifting the nose more than a few centimeters off the ground. I'm 5' 10" and weigh 155 lbs, so I'm thinking about a 154 for the K2 Happy hour. So I really want to ask you: How does this board butter? Can you spin around the ground like a helicopter? Or is it too stiff to allow butters to be performed? Thanks in advance guys, I'm really conflicted, just because I really want the board, but I'm not going to go for it if it can't spin on the ground. I know it's a really stupid thing to want in a board, but I've been riding for 6 years on my K2 anagram now, 6 years of never being able to butter because my board is a giant beast that won't flex. And if you guys have other suggestions for good all mountain boards that will allow buttering, please by all means send em my way. I'm in no way an expert, so I'm sure there's a whole world out there I don't know of. Thank you all!

24WERD 03-19-2014 08:46 PM

its the rider not the board.

did you get the snowboardaddiction videos? or watch them online?

you should be able to somewhat butter on any board.

snowman55 03-19-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24WERD (Post 1625298)
its the rider not the board.

did you get the snowboardaddiction videos? or watch them online?

you should be able to somewhat butter on any board.

+1.

Check this video out that actually shows this. Also look up Ryan Knapton on youtube. He is one of the best flatland trick rider on youtube and he does it on Burton Custom X which is a stiff camber board.


snowklinger 03-20-2014 12:46 AM

yea but the nips on the HH...wtf with those things.. :(

chaoechidna 03-20-2014 06:20 PM

No, I completely agree with you guys, it's definitely the boarder and not the board. But if you watch the video, which thank you for btw it was really good and a really good lesson that the stiffness doesn't matter much, the dude uses 154 cm boards and below. I'm riding a 163. In this case, it's the length that makes it impossible to flex, not the width. Oh, and the fact that I'm not a heavy dude, I'm pretty light for my height (155 lbs and 5'10"). I can bend the board, lift it up slightly from the ground and manual, but its such a small height that i really can't count it as a butter. I might be able to spin, but it just takes so much out of me to bend the board that i can't do it. I know I suck compared to this guy, but at this point, I'm willing to size down and get something a bit easier to ride and butter on than my 163.

Does anyone have any experience with the K2 happy hour in 154 and buttering with it? And like the other dude said, do the spiked tips make it bad for buttering (do they catch in the snow?). Thanks again for the comments guys, it's a great lesson to everyone that it's the rider, not the board.

twowheeled 03-20-2014 11:49 PM

I'm about the same weight as you, 160lb and 5'10. The anagram is not really that stiff of a board and should be able to get you started in buttering. Obviously it is not ideal but you should still be able to press and stuff. What is your stance set at? You might have to have it narrower to be able to shift your weight around and flex that board.

I can press my buddies 163 barracuda really well, he's got the hinge cartels on there and it makes it too easy. Anyways a softer board in a 153 range would be really good for you to butter with. But... I learned to butter on my 159 kypto which is a stiffer freeride board. It's more challenging but when you make that switch over to a small soft board it is 10x more fun.

The only board I could completely not butter at all was a custom x, that thing is made of steel. I think that ryan guy on youtube butters a custom, not a custom x.

snowman55 03-21-2014 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twowheeled (Post 1628826)
I'm about the same weight as you, 160lb and 5'10. The anagram is not really that stiff of a board and should be able to get you started in buttering. Obviously it is not ideal but you should still be able to press and stuff. What is your stance set at? You might have to have it narrower to be able to shift your weight around and flex that board.

I can press my buddies 163 barracuda really well, he's got the hinge cartels on there and it makes it too easy. Anyways a softer board in a 153 range would be really good for you to butter with. But... I learned to butter on my 159 kypto which is a stiffer freeride board. It's more challenging but when you make that switch over to a small soft board it is 10x more fun.

The only board I could completely not butter at all was a custom x, that thing is made of steel. I think that ryan guy on youtube butters a custom, not a custom x.

He (Ryan) does it on a Custom X and a Custom Wide.

chaoechidna 03-23-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twowheeled (Post 1628826)
I'm about the same weight as you, 160lb and 5'10. The anagram is not really that stiff of a board and should be able to get you started in buttering. Obviously it is not ideal but you should still be able to press and stuff. What is your stance set at? You might have to have it narrower to be able to shift your weight around and flex that board.

I can press my buddies 163 barracuda really well, he's got the hinge cartels on there and it makes it too easy. Anyways a softer board in a 153 range would be really good for you to butter with. But... I learned to butter on my 159 kypto which is a stiffer freeride board. It's more challenging but when you make that switch over to a small soft board it is 10x more fun.

The only board I could completely not butter at all was a custom x, that thing is made of steel. I think that ryan guy on youtube butters a custom, not a custom x.

Thank you! I never tried to make my stance narrower, I always have kept my stance the widest the board allows (pretty wide on a 163..). I'll have to give it a shot next season, since it's pretty warm here in the East coast now.

But anyone have experience with riding the K2 Happy Hour?? Hahaha, I really want to know how they like buttering on the sharp tips and if they get caught. I don't see that they would, but some reviews have said it's really bad for buttering, some reviews said it's really good, I just want to know from someone who has actually done it. Thanks guys.

Grabber 03-23-2014 12:28 PM

K2 absolutely ruined this board with the tips IMO. Everything else about the board is awesome. 2015 model still will have the same pointed tips as well. I just don't get it.

chaoechidna 03-23-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grabber (Post 1634241)
K2 absolutely ruined this board with the tips IMO. Everything else about the board is awesome. 2015 model still will have the same pointed tips as well. I just don't get it.

Lol why do you say that? Do they catch the snow because they're pointed, or what? Or just because of the aesthetic? They look wicked cool, but if you're saying they suck because they catch the snow, that makes complete sense. Have you tried the board and you know from first hand experience that they catch?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2