Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   2012 Never Summer Heritage 163X wide-too big/wide?? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/135433-2012-never-summer-heritage-163x-wide.html)

CovetFile 03-19-2014 11:29 PM

2012 Never Summer Heritage 163X wide-too big/wide??

So I finally found the board I was looking for, but it is a wide and I think it might be more board than I need.

Details....

Height - 5'11"
Weight - 225
Foot - 29.845 cm
33 years old, don't ride in the park and I ride with mostly skiers in Snowmass/Aspen. Been riding since I was 14, so I would say I am intermediate to advanced.

Currently ride a 2013 TRS 159 but I found that the TRS is great on the groomers but if it snowed and I wanted to hit the pow I didn't get much float. I demoed a 162 High Society this winter and since they license the NS technology I got a feel for the board and love how it just wanted to go.

Questions...

Is this NS 163 X too wide?

What are the drawbacks of having a board too wide?

Dago91 03-20-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CovetFile (Post 1625969)
So I finally found the board I was looking for, but it is a wide and I think it might be more board than I need.

Details....

Height - 5'11"
Weight - 225
Foot - 29.845 cm
33 years old, don't ride in the park and I ride with mostly skiers in Snowmass/Aspen. Been riding since I was 14, so I would say I am intermediate to advanced.

Currently ride a 2013 TRS 159 but I found that the TRS is great on the groomers but if it snowed and I wanted to hit the pow I didn't get much float. I demoed a 162 High Society this winter and since they license the NS technology I got a feel for the board and love how it just wanted to go.

Questions...

Is this NS 163 X too wide?

What are the drawbacks of having a board too wide?

I think you would be better served with a non wide board due to your foot size. What is the drawback on a wide? The main drawback is edge to edge transition with the wider waist width.

For example.. I ride a NS wide 161cm board, size 13 US boot. I need the wide due too my foot size for the wider waist width for less toe/heel drag. When I had a size 12 US foot size and under I always rode non wide.

Since you have like 11.5 maybe 12 stay away from a wide board. Can you ride a wide.. yes. I just think if you do not need it stay with a reg sized board.

Also you have a really nice do it all board why not buy a more POW specific deck? you can get something like a Charlie slasher from capita that floats effortlessly in pow but still handles other conditions or what I now own which is a Solomon sick stick. My NS deck floats great in pow but It is night and day from a true pow deck. Just food for thought.

Hope that helps!

ridinbend 03-20-2014 09:14 AM

97 Attachment(s)
If your just riding it in powder it won't be a problem. You'll feel it on the groomers but it sounds like you bought it for pow days. I wouldn't swear it. My splitboard is a wide, while nothing else I own is and I really can't feel the difference when I'm in the BC.

CovetFile 03-20-2014 11:45 AM

Thanks for the comments.

I am looking for an all-mountain board...I feel that my TRS is a tad bit small and feels unstable at high speeds. I ride with mostly skiers who are pretty good and like to challenge themselves whether that be back bowls/backcountry.

I plan on keeping the TRS for Spring days that won't require a 'power' board, but would like to make the Heritage my go to board when conditions are right.

I guess what will end up happening is I am going to end up putting together a collection of boards for different conditions...or what you folks call a quiver.:D

I bought the board of Ebay so it is done...I will report back after I take it out, pretty excited to get on it ASAP!

linvillegorge 03-20-2014 12:10 PM

I think you'll be fine with it.

Dago91 03-20-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linvillegorge (Post 1627234)
I think you'll be fine with it.

Agree.. you are right on the cusp of wide/non wide. You will be fine and let me tell you NS makes a quality board that is damp as hell!