2012 Never Summer Heritage 163X wide-too big/wide?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2012 Never Summer Heritage 163X wide-too big/wide??

So I finally found the board I was looking for, but it is a wide and I think it might be more board than I need.

Details....

Height - 5'11"
Weight - 225
Foot - 29.845 cm
33 years old, don't ride in the park and I ride with mostly skiers in Snowmass/Aspen. Been riding since I was 14, so I would say I am intermediate to advanced.

Currently ride a 2013 TRS 159 but I found that the TRS is great on the groomers but if it snowed and I wanted to hit the pow I didn't get much float. I demoed a 162 High Society this winter and since they license the NS technology I got a feel for the board and love how it just wanted to go.

Questions...

Is this NS 163 X too wide?

What are the drawbacks of having a board too wide?
CovetFile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovetFile View Post
So I finally found the board I was looking for, but it is a wide and I think it might be more board than I need.

Details....

Height - 5'11"
Weight - 225
Foot - 29.845 cm
33 years old, don't ride in the park and I ride with mostly skiers in Snowmass/Aspen. Been riding since I was 14, so I would say I am intermediate to advanced.

Currently ride a 2013 TRS 159 but I found that the TRS is great on the groomers but if it snowed and I wanted to hit the pow I didn't get much float. I demoed a 162 High Society this winter and since they license the NS technology I got a feel for the board and love how it just wanted to go.

Questions...

Is this NS 163 X too wide?

What are the drawbacks of having a board too wide?
I think you would be better served with a non wide board due to your foot size. What is the drawback on a wide? The main drawback is edge to edge transition with the wider waist width.

For example.. I ride a NS wide 161cm board, size 13 US boot. I need the wide due too my foot size for the wider waist width for less toe/heel drag. When I had a size 12 US foot size and under I always rode non wide.

Since you have like 11.5 maybe 12 stay away from a wide board. Can you ride a wide.. yes. I just think if you do not need it stay with a reg sized board.

Also you have a really nice do it all board why not buy a more POW specific deck? you can get something like a Charlie slasher from capita that floats effortlessly in pow but still handles other conditions or what I now own which is a Solomon sick stick. My NS deck floats great in pow but It is night and day from a true pow deck. Just food for thought.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Dago91; 03-20-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Dago91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If your just riding it in powder it won't be a problem. You'll feel it on the groomers but it sounds like you bought it for pow days. I wouldn't swear it. My splitboard is a wide, while nothing else I own is and I really can't feel the difference when I'm in the BC.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments.

I am looking for an all-mountain board...I feel that my TRS is a tad bit small and feels unstable at high speeds. I ride with mostly skiers who are pretty good and like to challenge themselves whether that be back bowls/backcountry.

I plan on keeping the TRS for Spring days that won't require a 'power' board, but would like to make the Heritage my go to board when conditions are right.

I guess what will end up happening is I am going to end up putting together a collection of boards for different conditions...or what you folks call a quiver.

I bought the board of Ebay so it is done...I will report back after I take it out, pretty excited to get on it ASAP!
CovetFile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think you'll be fine with it.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
I think you'll be fine with it.
Agree.. you are right on the cusp of wide/non wide. You will be fine and let me tell you NS makes a quality board that is damp as hell!
Dago91 is offline   Reply With Quote