Looking to purchase a wax and tune kit. Need some feedback. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Harjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 28
Default Looking to purchase a wax and tune kit. Need some feedback.

I've always sent my board to the local ski shop to get my board wax and tuned but after being here a while I would like to start doing it myself. I read the sticky at the top and did a couple of searches on here and google and I think I have all the tools I need but I have a few questions:

Here is the list of items which I would purchase from Amazon:

Amazon.com

If I buy the kerosene, do I still need the scraper?

The iron seemed to be a good choice for the money but I'm open to alternatives.

Is the wax a good choice? It seemed like a lot of wax for not much money. Is there a better choice?

Is the edge sharpener any good?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, I really need it!
Harjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
redlude97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle/Portland
Posts: 1,088
Default

That edge sharpener isn't a great choice because it will limit your edge angle to <90 degrees. Get this one instead Amazon.com: Swix XF Snowboard Adjustable Edge Sharpener Base Bevel and sides Bevel SWIX New: Sports & Outdoors
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
DaveMcI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: southrn new england
Posts: 79
Default

Buy a real snowboard or ski scraper too, that metal thing is goin to fuck up ur board. Good choice of wax tho I bought some hertel race wax I can't wait for it to come in.
DaveMcI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
dcrides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern California
Posts: 33
Default

I'd forgo the kerosene and the metal taping knife.
Get a plastic scraper instead to start out. You can use a small metal scraper like the Dakine if you need to do ptex repairs, so also get some ptex sticks.
You don't really need a base cleaner, you can just hot scrape instead.
Metal scrapers aren't recommended for beginners as you can ruin your base if you are not careful.
As far as edge tools, I use the skivisions ski sharp. Hits both edges at the same time.
The Hertel wax is really good.
You'll also want some scotchbrite pads
dcrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Harjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
That edge sharpener isn't a great choice because it will limit your edge angle to <90 degrees. Get this one instead Amazon.com: Swix XF Snowboard Adjustable Edge Sharpener Base Bevel and sides Bevel SWIX New: Sports & Outdoors
Thanks, I switched it out.
Harjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Harjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcI View Post
Buy a real snowboard or ski scraper too, that metal thing is goin to fuck up ur board. Good choice of wax tho I bought some hertel race wax I can't wait for it to come in.
Any particular scraper you would recommend?
Harjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Harjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrides View Post
I'd forgo the kerosene and the metal taping knife.
Get a plastic scraper instead to start out. You can use a small metal scraper like the Dakine if you need to do ptex repairs, so also get some ptex sticks.
You don't really need a base cleaner, you can just hot scrape instead.
Metal scrapers aren't recommended for beginners as you can ruin your base if you are not careful.
As far as edge tools, I use the skivisions ski sharp. Hits both edges at the same time.
The Hertel wax is really good.
You'll also want some scotchbrite pads
Thanks, I added scotch brite pads. Any particular scraper you would recommend?
Harjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
ekb18c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Nyc
Posts: 552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harjim View Post
Thanks, I added scotch brite pads. Any particular scraper you would recommend?
Any plastic scrapper is fine. It's just plastic..
ekb18c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,440
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Wealth of tuning info here

Tuning - The Carver's Almanac

I'd skip the kerosene. Also consider a file guide that doesn't adjust and holds whole files, more accurate. Swix makes some I believe.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Harjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Wealth of tuning info here

Tuning - The Carver's Almanac

I'd skip the kerosene. Also consider a file guide that doesn't adjust and holds whole files, more accurate. Swix makes some I believe.
Thanks that website is really informative. As for the file, do you mean something like this? If so, what kind of files would I use or which ones would you recommend?
Harjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums