Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   The Lib Tech TRS HP(?) Unicorn??? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/135522-lib-tech-trs-hp-unicorn.html)

splendic 03-20-2014 03:37 PM

The Lib Tech TRS HP(?) Unicorn???

Hi, guys. First real question here. May be unanswerable... but it couldn't hurt to ask. So here's my issue:

I just received a 159cm Lib Tech TRS HP board in the mail. Notice that at 159cm, the TRS Horsepower model, and the non-Horsepower TRS model, look almost identical.

The HP model has a "glittered" top and has "Horsepower" on the board identifier graphic, while the non-HP has a plainer top and has the regular board identifier graphic.

Somehow I ended up with a Lib Tech TRS Unicorn. It has the glittered top of the proper Horsepower model, and the board identifier for the regular model. To be clear, this may seem silly, and I don't care about the look of the graphic... I just need to know which model it actually is because they're two differently constructed boards, at two different price points.

I've contacted Lib, and the reseller, but haven't heard anything back yet. I planned on riding the board this weekend, but now I might have to hold off in case this is getting sent back.

Any help, general info, etc... about this board, or definitively identifying the Horsepower models would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

linvillegorge 03-20-2014 03:44 PM

Just call 'em up and ask them.

Toll Free: 877-644-1477
Ph: 206-204-7800

splendic 03-20-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linvillegorge (Post 1627818)
Just call 'em up and ask them.

Toll Free: 877-644-1477
Ph: 206-204-7800

Thanks. I did, and only reached a machine, but I'll be trying that again tomorrow.

destroy 03-20-2014 10:30 PM

Could easily just be a manufacturing error, bro. In which case technically you shoulda paid less! My Eco Genetics says EC2 instead of C2 on it as well. Again, way she goes!

splendic 03-20-2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destroy (Post 1628810)
Could easily just be a manufacturing error, bro. In which case technically you shoulda paid less! My Eco Genetics says EC2 instead of C2 on it as well. Again, way she goes!

I'm glad you mentioned that.

I don't know a ton about board construction and assumed the topsheet is the topsheet is the topsheet (visually identical from board to board within one model). I didn't think they could be missing just one part of the graphic, but I guess maybe so.

The reseller got back to me and wants photos, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for the reply.

destroy 03-20-2014 11:29 PM

I would say what most likely happened is that somehow they accidentally put the regular topsheet lay on a board that was HP construction. Afterall, that little HP logo is the only graphic difference between the two and it's so minor it would be very easy to overlook it. Most of their boards that come in a regular and HP varient have two different topsheets altogether so it's easy to tell the difference.

Watch this to get an idea of how they do it: Mervin Factory 101 - YouTube

GreyDragon 03-21-2014 01:43 AM

I have the 157 HP model, and your description of what yours SHOULD look like is accurate. You can tell the difference between the regular and HP by the sparkle top and more faded finish of the topsheet. Plus the HP flying horse symbol.
I would hold off riding yours until you get a definitive answer.

I absolutely love the new XC2 camber profile over the previous C2 model btw.

jtg 03-21-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destroy (Post 1628882)
I would say what most likely happened is that somehow they accidentally put the regular topsheet lay on a board that was HP construction. Afterall, that little HP logo is the only graphic difference between the two and it's so minor it would be very easy to overlook it. Most of their boards that come in a regular and HP varient have two different topsheets altogether so it's easy to tell the difference.

Watch this to get an idea of how they do it: Mervin Factory 101 - YouTube

All of the HP boards I've seen have a very different looking topsheet. Is that not always the case? Even if the art is the same, there is no mistaking the different finish on them.

destroy 03-21-2014 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtg (Post 1630186)
All of the HP boards I've seen have a very different looking topsheet. Is that not always the case? Even if the art is the same, there is no mistaking the different finish on them.

:dunno::icon_scratch: Did'ja read the thread?

Most of their boards that come in a regular and HP variant have two different graphics... and by different, I mean more difference than just the HP logo, but a different (albeit sometimes similar theme, etc) graphic altogether. Even without the other clues this makes telling the difference a little easier, usually. If OP's board has no HP logo but is as described, it's definitely a HP board - it just has the regular topsheet! If there is a HP logo, then it's still a HP board!

Keep in mind, the topsheet graphic has little to do with what the board is actually made of. If you watch the video I posted you'll see that it's just literally a graphic sheet inlay that gets laid inbetween different layers in the sandwich construction process. Whether the board uses basalt or more traditional methods, doesn't matter - how they get the graphic in there is still the same. In this case the two topsheets for the two boards are basically identical except for the little HP logo on the HP board.

Either way, splendic should post a photo!