Raptor vs Ripsaw - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Raptor vs Ripsaw

Anyone have experience with both boards? I'm currently on a 156 Raptor and pretty much love it, but I could use something a little softer since I pretty much just stick with groomers, glades, and im starting to enjoy moguls.

The one thing I dont want to give up is how amazing the Raptor is at what I consider high speeds. I feel completely comfortable at ~60mph and simply dont have the terrain to go any faster.
emc19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have a raptor too and demoed ripsaw and didnt find it that much softer but i found that it hold the edge a bit better, it was as fast as the raptor on groomers. It was a fun board to ride and was more easy to make some jumps for me. I may consider getting it for next year.
Art_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emc19 View Post
I feel completely comfortable at ~60mph and simply dont have the terrain to go any faster.

Riiight.

Anyways, the biggest differences between the Ripsaw and the Raptor in my book are going to be the fact that one is a twin and the other is directional. The ripsaw is by no means any less of a freeride board than the Raptor. Perhaps not as strong in powder but certainly nothing to scoff at, not to mention you don't lose float riding switch. If you're looking for a softer all-mountain board from NS, I'd look toward the Proto.
Eat Sleep Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Sleep Shred View Post

Riiight.

Anyways, the biggest differences between the Ripsaw and the Raptor in my book are going to be the fact that one is a twin and the other is directional. The ripsaw is by no means any less of a freeride board than the Raptor. Perhaps not as strong in powder but certainly nothing to scoff at, not to mention you don't lose float riding switch. If you're looking for a softer all-mountain board from NS, I'd look toward the Proto.
What other twin board has the speed, stability, edge hold, and dampness of the RipSaw. This board will keep you on the mountain because it's so much fun.
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Sleep Shred View Post

Riiight.
If you've ever been to 7springs PA you know they just dont have the vertical to go any faster. Still the best in the area sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDogWax View Post
What other twin board has the speed, stability, edge hold, and dampness of the RipSaw. This board will keep you on the mountain because it's so much fun.
I'm leaning more and more towards picking one up now. I'd love to find one slightly used on Ebay but I dont see that happening.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
If you've ever been to 7springs PA you know they just dont have the vertical to go any faster. Still the best in the area sadly.

I'm leaning more and more towards picking one up now. I'd love to find one slightly used on Ebay but I dont see that happening.
I have a season pass at 7Springs.
Bought 159 RipSaw looking to buy 162 next year. I bought the the 159 rather than waiting till next year.
I'm 6'3" and 220 LBS so 162 will better suite me since I'll be spending around 40 days in Colorado with Epic or Copper mountain season pass next season.

RipSaw 159 I have is in perfect condition. Make me an offer, you'll be able to see what your buying since we both are from PA,
Old 03-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDogWax View Post
I have a season pass at 7Springs.
Bought 159 RipSaw looking to buy 162 next year. I bought the the 159 rather than waiting till next year.
I'm 6'3" and 220 LBS so 162 will better suite me since I'll be spending around 40 days in Colorado with Epic or Copper mountain season pass next season.

RipSaw 159 I have is in perfect condition. Make me an offer, you'll be able to see what your buying since we both are from PA,
I'm 5'8 180ish so the 159 might be a little large for me. What part of PA are you from? I'm actually just across the MD line near Cumberland.

Last edited by emc19; 03-21-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I might also suggest considering the lib tech hot knife.

I've been on the Raptor for two seasons now and wanted an aggressive twin to focus more on switch and because powder doesn't come to Tahoe anymore. I was deciding between the Ripsaw and the hot knife and ultimately went with the hot knife a few weeks ago.

I haven't demo'd the ripsaw, but I really couldn't be happier with the hot knife. Edge hold on hardpack I think is far superior to the Raptor (and I actually think it's more stable and thus faster), but the thing that I imagine it has over the ripsaw is the sweet pop due to the C3 shape as opposed to the CR of the ripsaw. This thing launches off kickers in a way that I forgot was possible when I started using the Raptor. It sounds like the CR will have more camber than the Raptor's RC, but it still doesn't get as far as C3.

In any case, I think the Raptor plus either the ripsaw or hot knife would make the perfect 2-board quiver if you like charging powder when it's there and having a good time when it's not.
glaucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I'm 5'8 180ish so the 159 might be a little large for me. What part of PA are you from? I'm actually just across the MD line near Cumberland.
In the heart of Pittsburgh Greenfield.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaucon View Post
I might also suggest considering the lib tech hot knife.

I've been on the Raptor for two seasons now and wanted an aggressive twin to focus more on switch and because powder doesn't come to Tahoe anymore. I was deciding between the Ripsaw and the hot knife and ultimately went with the hot knife a few weeks ago.

I haven't demo'd the ripsaw, but I really couldn't be happier with the hot knife. Edge hold on hardpack I think is far superior to the Raptor (and I actually think it's more stable and thus faster), but the thing that I imagine it has over the ripsaw is the sweet pop due to the C3 shape as opposed to the CR of the ripsaw. This thing launches off kickers in a way that I forgot was possible when I started using the Raptor. It sounds like the CR will have more camber than the Raptor's RC, but it still doesn't get as far as C3.

In any case, I think the Raptor plus either the ripsaw or hot knife would make the perfect 2-board quiver if you like charging powder when it's there and having a good time when it's not.
So if you could only have one, would it be the Raptor or the hot knife?