Detuning an SL-R - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Detuning an SL-R

I read through all the posts about detuning, but I'm as confused as ever. I have an SL-R coming, and I know that it comes with a 0 degree base bevel from the factory. I called NS and explained that I'm a lower intermediate rider, and asked what kind of detuning they recommend. The person told me that their boards come ready to ride, and that if I elect to detune, I should just do it to my preferences. My preference is something that's forgiving to someone at my level, but still performs well, but I don't know what that translates to on this board. I'm currently riding a DH, that I believe has a 1 degree base bevel, and when I bought it the shop kid detuned the tip and tail, but to what specs I have no idea. that seems comfortable enough, but i don't really have any basis for comparison, and I have noticed that it doesn't grip well on ice. I'm not going to do any rails/jibs/butters on the SL-R. What do you recommend? I'm going to have my local shop do this for me, but I want to know what to tell them to do, instead of relying on a random shop kid to tell me what I need.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You shouldnt need to detune your SL-R unless you were planning on doing rails and things like that. Because of the R.C. tech and where the contact points on the board is its not a huge deal..

I ride my SL-R without any detuning..
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

x2 although it never hurts to detune the tip and tail i just wouldnt take it into the effective edges at all.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seedy J

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
I ride my SL-R without any detuning..
Me too. I'm not a great rider (upper intermediate at best), but I hardly ever catch edges. Ride it for a day and see what you think. If you're not into jibs and butters, it's probably fine as is.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you don't do any park there is no need to detune. I detuned only the tip and tail of my SL-R but I like to dabble in the park omw down the hill.
bobepfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

just leave the board alone, its going to come good to go from the factory. sometimes you detune and never get it back..
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the responses, and I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that the consensus is don't detune. Surprised in that I seem to read everyone always saying to at least detune the tip and tail. Is it the fact that I don't do park that means I don't need to detune, or is it the R.C.?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Dude, just learn how to ride your board how it is and stop worrying about your gear. If you're worried about detuning so you don't catch edges you need to worry more about your technique than your gear.
jeri534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nothing wrong with a dude just trying to do himself as many favors as possible. I'm not posting instead of riding. Chill
Old 02-20-2009, 12:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggravy View Post
Thanks for all the responses, and I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that the consensus is don't detune. Surprised in that I seem to read everyone always saying to at least detune the tip and tail. Is it the fact that I don't do park that means I don't need to detune, or is it the R.C.?
the only reason to detune anything other the tip and tail is for park, the tip and tail just mean catching edges that should not be caught. technically there is no reason for them, but they do provide a certain reliability factor..
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote