Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Intermediate board recommendation... again! (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/135658-intermediate-board-recommendation-again.html)

Maandy 03-21-2014 12:54 PM

Intermediate board recommendation... again!

I'm pretty sure everyone is sick and tired of such threads but since I didn't find any sticky with recommendations here I go.

I started boarding this year, went quite a few times, got to smooth linking turns, carving and started jumping etc. Now it's time to get a board!

I was thinking about Burton Custom Flying V (2014) since I've read a lot of good stuff about it - mainly how versatile it is. The problem is everyone keeps mentioning it's biggest weakness is ice. Here where I ride ice isn't too rare so I'm looking for some alternatives... Something that will let me hit the park but also enjoy the backcountry and other parts of the slope.

I know it would be best to go and try some stuff out but that is rather out of the question (long story short I live in Japan but my Japanese is still pretty poor so finding out where I can try some boards out and actually trying them out seems too troublesome).

Oh and if that's of any importance I'm 6'4" and 170lbs.

Justin 03-21-2014 11:26 PM

I think that was a issue a couple of years ago but has been fixed. I don't trust the channel system. 4 of 5 of my friends have their feet slide around almost daily and they are moving away from burton because of it, however lots of ppl trust it :dunno:.

k2 raygun or turbo dream might be good because of the setback they have.

Rome agent rocker has the same profile as the custom if you like the idea of that profile.

I don't really know what you have access to in Japan.

Lamps 03-22-2014 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 1631386)
I think that was a issue a couple of years ago but has been fixed. I don't trust the channel system. 4 of 5 of my friends have their feet slide around almost daily and they are moving away from burton because of it, however lots of ppl trust it :dunno:.

I've got six channel boards in the family, never had anything slip.

OP, if it's icy where you ride go burton custom camber, solid board.

francium 03-22-2014 07:45 AM

If you live in Japan buy a Jones hovercraft.:thumbsup:

SnowDogWax 03-22-2014 08:00 AM

^^^^

If in Japan agree with Jones hovercraft….

francium 03-22-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGboarder (Post 1631778)
If you are in Japan, I have 155 Cobra (Brothers in Arms edition) with <10 days on the snow that I might sell.
Or a brand new, still plastic wrapped 158 Burton Trick Pony.

At 170lbs and living in Japan your gonna want longer than a 155.

Maandy 03-22-2014 09:07 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice! I'll definitely check out what you've recommended.

About what's available in Japan, I don't think there's that much difference to what you can get in the US/EU but I might be wrong here. The stores seem pretty well stocked (price is another story, though).

Any particular reason why I should get a Jones hovercraft in Japan?

@SGboarder: thanks for the offer but I guess 155 might be a bit too small for me.

binarypie 03-23-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maandy (Post 1633178)
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice! I'll definitely check out what you've recommended.

About what's available in Japan, I don't think there's that much difference to what you can get in the US/EU but I might be wrong here. The stores seem pretty well stocked (price is another story, though).

Any particular reason why I should get a Jones hovercraft in Japan?

@SGboarder: thanks for the offer but I guess 155 might be a bit too small for me.

In Japan there is lots of dry deep snow. The Hovercraft lives for those conditions. :)