Jones Mountain Twin(s) 2015 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jones Mountain Twin(s) 2015

So it appears from Jones' new lineup for the 2015 has two Mountain Twin snowboards. (Jones Snowboards - The journey is the reward - Jones Workbook 2014/2015).

I am new to this forum, but quite an experienced boarder, but I have not kept up with the technology, so I am curious to see what the forum's thoughts on board technology from a different perspective than the repeated slush going around SIA and etc.

I am writing this post in an attempt to learn more about the Mountain Twin since I plan to upgrade, and I would like to know if this is a good choice out there. I'm looking at other freeride (dominant) + opportunity to freestyle boards that are good for steeps and charging. I like the 2014 mountain twin, but the new 2015 updates are confusing to me and I'm not sure if it'll be the same quality board as the 2014 I keep hearing good things about.

Note I am comparing to the current Mountain Twin (zuzupopo / Catalogues - Jones).

For the new Mountain Twin (Blue-ish one):
The graphics look cool. But besides that, I'm not sure why Jones changed the core used in the twin. Well they changed their entire nomenclature for their cores so I'm not sure if the "hard core" is the same as the "mountain core". But, is this a downgrade or upgrade? How might you guys expect the board to change?

More importantly, the carbon stringers have been also taken out from the 2013/14 version. The 2015 Mountain twin seems to be a stripped version tech-wise, so I'm curious as to what you guys think how it will compare to the current 2013/14 twin?

For the new Mountain Twin Limited (Murdered-out one):

It uses the "master core" and has "carbon stringers". How does this compare to the current mountain twin? The core seems like an upgrade, but keeping the carbon stringers seems like it will maintain the same performance as the current twin.

Some final thoughts, how do you think the prices will differ between these two models? Are you guys happy about this - it seems like Jones is splitting hairs with the twin.

Do you guys think the limited edition is going to be that much better - regardless of the exclusivity of the limited edition or graphics?

On another note, for those who have used the Jones Mountain Twin, do you like it and why?
onitsukatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 05:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

The mountain twin is a nice board the 2013-14 model rides really well, from what i've heard the prices for the jones stuff is going up for the 14-15 season. i know the hovercraft is going up by 40 in the uk and as far as i know they've made no changes to that one, as for the new ones go i doubt there will be too much difference in the boards except the price and the ltd might be a tad stiffer.
francium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm guessing I'll be disappointed with the 2015 version. They've got rid of the setback too (I think it was 0 in the 2015 catalogue and 20 this year). Quite a few big changes and I don't think it will be the same board at all sadly.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am feeling the same thoughts. The regular version seems to be a more toned-down, resort styled, board. I am getting that vibe from the "downgrade" in core, lack of stringers, and centered stance. I'm not hating on it, I am just saying it might not fit the same riders as the '13-14 who want to get more aggressive off-piste.

I am interested in getting a '13-14 twin. I am a freeride aspiring boarder who likes to charge difficult lines, and throw in the occasional jump off cliffs and natural features. I also like to lay hard carves on groomers.

I got a cheap used Antler '13, and while I can do a whole lot with it (double blacks and all), I feel I've mastered the board, and it's letting me down when I want to push harder (edge hold and stiffness). I still love the board, but it's for a more casual day.

Essentially an all-mountain advanced rider looking to get more into freeriding. I don't ride switch for my life, but I would like to stick with a board that has twin capabilities in case I want to learn in the future.

I think this is the board for my style and has skill room for me to grow, but I wanted to know if 160 would work?

I am 5'9", 175-180lbs (trying to bulk up over the summer though). I normally ride a 157, but I wanted to size up since I'll be freeriding more on bigger runs where I presume I'll need high speed stability and better float. I also would like a challenge of controlling a larger board that has better stability. I've hear the twin isn't so stiff, so a larger board shouldn't be too hard to control.
onitsukatiger is offline   Reply With Quote