Gnu carbon credit damage! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Gnu carbon credit damage!

I bought a gnu carbon credit 153. It was a 2014 brand new blem model from evo.com. I really liked the day and a half I rode it...until...I board slid a box and came off too much on my nose. The board slid off the corner and hard into snow. The nose was damaged severely.

After contacting gnu's warranty department, they basically said tough luck. And it was not anything to do with thin metal sidewall defect (the type of blem was not specified on evo, so I assumed top sheet aesthetic defect).

To Gnu's credit, they offered to have me send the board in for evaluation ( after accusing me of running into something already) but I would be stuck with shipping both ways. Or they said they'd give me 40% off on a new board, which this board was already discounted on Evo.com , but I'm poor!

I have to think the think the thin metal edge defect, combined with the fact the Gnu and Lib Tech does not use wood base material in the nose and tails, just fiber and plastic claiming it helps with spins. Also, the metal edges stop at the nose and tail where it starts to round.

Long story short, I'm stuck with this brand new board severely damaged. I wish Mervin Mfg. would be better about helping a fellow rider out. I guess I'm stuck with repairing this. I bought marine epoxy already.

Any tips for repair?

Thanks alot guys! And hopefully gnu or mervin sees this post and helps a brotha out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0862.jpg (32.3 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0861.jpg (23.5 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0865.jpg (36.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0863.jpg (92.9 KB, 111 views)
elinett7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Also, I work in a ski shop so have access to anything I need for repair. The guys and I are deciding whether to cut the damaged nose and use it as my tail, or try to epoxy and sand. This is not really a contact point, and the no true base of the nose may help prevent water from warping...
Old 03-22-2014, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you crash your new Ford car, would Ford give you 40% off a new car?

Sounds like they are trying to help a fellow rider out.

to Gnu
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

But I didn't crash! I nose pressed a box to heavy, something I have done countless times with other brands and never had a problem. It's a huge deal to someone on a ski shop wage, when replacing one board I'm sure wouldn't put gnu out of business!
Old 03-22-2014, 12:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstarrasl View Post

to Gnu
It's hard to see that as a great deal when the board was 30% off because of a thin metal manufacturing defect, something I truly believe caused this to happen. Everybody riding with me could NOT believe that happened. After further research, poor quality and easily worn/damaged nose and tails are common with Gnu/lib tech boards.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You hit something to make a gash like that in the base.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
You hit something to make a gash like that in the base.
Yeah, coming off a box I rubbed the edge of it and the snow, something that happens ALL THE TIME and this snowboard is designed to be in the park. Back to original question, can anyone help in repair tips? Thanks!
Old 03-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

IT'S FUCKING IMPACT DAMAGE. Take onus for the fact YOU did this. 40% is a hell of a lot better than nothing. Read the little warranty card that came on the base of, some real eye opening facts in there.

Is it fixable? Fuck no that board is dead.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What are you talking about when you say "the thin metal edge defect"? How has it been established that such a defect exists? It sounds like you just decided that it had that defect and started saying it.

If it actually has a manufacturing defect, it's covered. Even if it's destroyed because of what you did, it is still easy to verify that such a defect exists, so get evo or mervin to replace it. If they refused to replace it, it's because either:

A) Your messaging was unclear, and they got the impression that you were saying "I broke my board, can you warranty it", in which case you have to explain that it broke because of the defect (and they will have to inspect it)

or

B) You made up this "defect" or convinced yourself that it was there because you want a way out and are looking for a way to fault the board, but it was actually made according to spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinett7 View Post
It's hard to see that as a great deal when the board was 30% off because of a thin metal manufacturing defect
No, it was 30% off for being a blem. Breaking has nothing to do with it being a blem. Blems are cosmetic, and evo is very clear about this. If you find another carbon credit to compare it to, and there is any manufacturing difference at all, evo will help you warranty it and pay for half of shipping.

Quote:

to Gnu
You're mischaracterizing what OP is saying. A better analogy would be if you backed into a parked car and all your doors and windows fell off and engine fell out, because nothing was bolted down, would Ford give you a new car? Yeah, they'd give you more than that too if your lawyer was any good.

But this all depends on if there is actually a "thin edge defect" or if OP just broke his board.

Last edited by jtg; 03-22-2014 at 02:22 AM.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you think the way Mervyn builds boards leads to lessened durability, don't buy them. Hell, it's a big reason why I personally tend to avoid them myself.

But, it is what it is. You knocked the hell out of something and ruined the board. No company would warranty it. Would another board have held up on that impact? Maybe, maybe not. If you don't like it, let your wallet speak for you and take your money elsewhere.

Tags
carbon credit, gnu, lib tech, mervin manufacturing, repair