Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Waxing the board (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/135842-waxing-board.html)

Katya.dobryak 03-22-2014 11:05 PM

Waxing the board

Hi everyone. I need advice. I bought my board on sale online without bindings. It came in a plastic wrap as usual. My question is whether I need to wax it or does it come waxed already. ... I assume when you buy it from a store , it is waxed and set up appropriately for you but I am to sure about online sales.
Would appreciate any thoughts and advice.
Thanks.

Harjim 03-22-2014 11:11 PM

At the top of the boards forum there is a sticky that goes into detail about waxing. It's really good. Someone also linked me to this website which a lot of info. Tuning - The Carver's Almanac

The consus however seems to be that factory wax jobs are pretty poor and you should redo it or have it redone.

emc19 03-22-2014 11:54 PM

Definitely wax it. There's plenty of good youtube videos demonstrating the entire process.

I super soak a new board. Put a heavy coat of wax on and iron it out. Let it sit for 20 minutes and iron it out again. Scrape it till you cant scrape any more. Take your new board out and enjoy it. It'll probably look dry again after so go ahead and wipe it down and wax it again. It takes me about three cycles of waxing and riding for a new board to really soak the wax in to where you can do about 5 or 6 days without waxing it again.

Lamps 03-23-2014 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katya.dobryak (Post 1633514)
Hi everyone. I need advice. I bought my board on sale online without bindings. It came in a plastic wrap as usual. My question is whether I need to wax it or does it come waxed already. ... I assume when you buy it from a store , it is waxed and set up appropriately for you but I am to sure about online sales.
Would appreciate any thoughts and advice.
Thanks.

Most stores just let you walk out with it still in plastic.

What kind of board? Some brands give factory wax some don't. Factory wax jobs aren't very good but for a first day out probably fine.

I usually wax a new board after two days.

Katya.dobryak 03-23-2014 09:02 AM

It is a burton board From last year. I liked it a lot. Ppl we just complaining about me being slow though and the last time riding I really felt the board ... Idk ,almost sticking. Now I know why :D

Lamps 03-23-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katya.dobryak (Post 1634009)
It is a burton board From last year. I liked it a lot. Ppl we just complaining about me being slow though and the last time riding I really felt the board ... Idk ,almost sticking. Now I know why :D

burton factory wax is ok, however if it was really cold or really warm then you'd have the wrong wax and it would feel slow.

time for a wax

scottb7 03-23-2014 10:53 AM

I would probably wax a new board myself before riding.

koi 03-23-2014 11:14 AM

Most manufactures will say you don't have to wax a new board. I have ridden new Burton, Jones, & Salomon. I have always given them the benefit of the doubt, but the factory wax is shit. I can def get through the first day without a wax, but it doesn't compare to a normal wax.

SnowDogWax 03-23-2014 04:25 PM

Waxing your board just makes sense….

ridinbend 03-23-2014 06:26 PM

When in doubt, WAX IT.