Neversummer Infinity - Size and am I ready? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Neversummer Infinity - Size and am I ready?

Hello, fellow forumers!

My season came to an end today, but I am already looking forward to next season and to continuing to improve!

I met a nice lady today in the gondola who had a NS Infinity board and asked her how it handles. From her description, I WANT ONE! I plan on putting feelers out for a potential deal on it, as well as tallying my finances... it looks grim at the moment, but... tax returns!

Anyway, I was wondering what size I should get. According to a chart I found somewhere, I am in the range for 149, 151 and 154. Though I feel like 154 might be a tad long for me, how much would I be able to feel the difference between these lengths and which one do the experts think would work best for me?

Stats: 140lbs. without all the snow gear, so maybe 150 with it on Boots: 7.5 32 Lashed.

Riding style: noob But I have been improving a lot this season and can now link turns with relative ease using an up-down technique (bend knees when wanting to turn, straighten out a little when pointing down. I can put myself where I want to be and also turn on a dime at low speeds to avoid running into other noobs (or them into me).

My plan/goals for next season are to continue improving (duh), getting better at handling steeper terrain, and learning how to carve (!!!). I am currently on a K2 Lunatique 146 and it has served me well through my learning, but the chatter as soon as I pick up some speed is starting to drive me crazy, and I am starting to feel like the board is a little short for me. Of course, I was right in the middle of the manufacturer's size chart for it so... I'm confused.

Lastly, do you think I am ready for such a board? I imagine it would be more stable at speed, which is exciting for me. I like being able to go fast and turn accurately. Or should I stick to my newbie gear for another season? Anyone's 2 is appreciated!
Varza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I don't think the Infinity is stiffer than the Lunatique, so the chatter is probably a technique/weighting issue. Which is pretty common for beginners progressing to intermediate. I suspect you're talking about that heelside turn chatter/breaking lose. If so, that's not a limitation of the board.

There's a different kind of chatter that happens when you bomb a run on a short/soft board, but I'd be surprised if this is what you are experiencing.

Buying a new board is always fun but I don't think you've "outgrown" that one based on your description.

Are you comfortable on black runs yet? If not, you'll wish you had a shorter board when attempting them the first time. 146 is a pretty reasonable size according to the weight chart of that model (note that board length does vary depending on model, 146 are not all alike). If you try steeper/faster stuff before you really have short radius dynamic turns dialed in, and your board is too long/stiff, you're going to find that about the halfway point across the fall line, the board will lock in and take you for a ride.

If you are bombing down the hill very fast, and the tips of your board are vibrating, and this is what you are talking about...then yeah, you progressed very quickly and you probably want a new board.

Last edited by jtg; 03-23-2014 at 10:10 PM.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Good points, thanks jtg!

So, the chatter happens when I point it down and I can feel and hear the back of the board vibrate, usually a lot in choppy conditions (runs with lots of tracks already there). It might be a weighting issue like you said, but it doesn't happen when I turn or go harder on an edge, so it might also be that I'm going too flat.

I am not comfortable on blacks yet, when it gets steep, I go veeery slowly. I don't falling leaf it, I do link turns, but I end up with the edge perpendicular to the fall line a lot, so that slows me down a lot.

From your post, I guess I should just save my money until I improve more. There will be plenty of time to get new boards in the years to come. So, thank you!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

In that case it might actually be legit chatter and the board just has really poor dampening. I've never really experienced that under conditions that you describe. The reason I said that initially is because the heelside chatter thing is a problem for most people at some point and they confuse it with tip and tail flapping/vibrating chatter that is a whole different issue. But maybe you got a cheaper board and they skimped out on dampening construction. Maybe someone more familiar with the Lunatique can chime in. A buddy of mine rides a Raygun, which I thought is supposed to be similar (and same price point), and he claims he only starts to get a hint of that at 40mph+.

I haven't ridden it so I'm only speculating. I highly recommend demoing before you buy though. What's good for some people isn't good for others (not just skill wise, but preference). A lot of people like the hybrid camber/rocker dominant boards (aka "RC" for Never Summer or C2 for Mervin) but I found that I hated it and prefer camber dominant. I wish I had done more demos before buying multiple boards to find that out.

Edit:
If you are trying boards out, at least give this one a look: http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/2014...-and-reviewed/

It's on clearance for $150 at evo (2013) and there is no beating it for a well built but inexpensive intermediate board. Everyone I've talked to who bought it loves it. I had way more fun on it than a lot of $500 - $600 mervin boards. And if you can make it chatter, I will eat my hat. It has rockered tips and less effective edge than most boards, so a 153 isn't as long as it sounds and would probably be perfect.

Last edited by jtg; 03-23-2014 at 11:26 PM.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtg View Post
But maybe you got a cheaper board and they skimped out on dampening construction. Maybe someone more familiar with the Lunatique can chime in. A buddy of mine rides a Raygun, which I thought is supposed to be similar (and same price point), and he claims he only starts to get a hint of that at 40mph+.
I certainly didn't think it was an expensive board, but I got it a season later on sale. But yeah, I hope someone else on this forum is familiar with the board and can chime in. I only met one person on the mountain once who had one (but wasn't riding it at the time), she said it was "more of a beginner board" than what she was riding (which was some other K2 model, don't remember which)
Old 03-24-2014, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

female

I've tried a couple that I did not like - but not everyone is the same. I started on my husbands traditional camber board size 154 until I was able to link turns. Then I bought a Lindsay Jacobellis flat rocker and progressed amazing on that - until I had many weeks of riding on ice and then I wanted a board with magnetraction. I tried the Roxy Ollie Pop which is camber/rocker/camber with magnetraction and I never got the hang of it. I had it for a year going about 30 times and still hated it. I had actually had the 148, 152 and 154 and didn't like any of them. (I think those were the sizes - I know I had 3 of them).

At this age and with bad knees I can't carve and never will, but I can go down diamond runs. I then researched and realized I wanted camber in the middle and rocker on the ends - rocker/camber/rocker which is reverse of the Roxy Ollie Pop. OMG I loved it. It was the Rossignol Diva Magtek. It is an intermediate/advanced board. I started on the 148 - which by weight I am just over the weight limit - but I liked it a lot better. I rode that for a almost a year and then got the 152. Love the 7 point magnetraction on the ice out here where I ride but the 152 just seems too long for my comfort.

However, I had a real problem riding the cat tracks on that board - it would just stress me out any time we had to get somewhere on a cat track and I'll freak out, lose speed and have to unstrap - . My husband has the Rossignol One Magtek which has a little less camber in the middle than the Diva Magtek of my board. So, I purchased the Rossignol Frenemy - which is also a intermediate/advanced board but it only has 5 points of contact for the magnetraction and had rocker/camber/rocker. This is now my board preference. I can ride flat and feel comfortable not catching edges, I like the rocker on the tips for turning on the steep runs and overall handling of it. I have the 150 and am happy. I like the camber in the middle than the rocker in the middle - it doesn't feel as squirrely. I have ridden this board all year and I can't wait to ride it next year. I paired it with some K2 cinch rear entry bindings and I love it!!! Get off the lift - step in - pull up and down the hill! That's my 2 cents!
Old 03-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you for the reply, firstx, very informative! I think the Infinity also has rocker/camber/rocker, and it's a profile I would definitely love to try!

But the final decision is, I will hold off for now, there are plenty of other things that are draining my money, so I might try to demo next season, but I've not heard of NS demos around Tahoe (yet...).
Old 03-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

The Infinity is camber/rocker/camber - the rocker is under your feet - that is why it feels squirrely - camber under your feet doesn't feel as squirrely - and the rocker at the tip make turns super easy! The Infinity is like the Roxy Ollie Pop and the Gnu B-Pro I believe. The only mfg company that makes the camber in the middle and rocker on the tips I think is Rossignol, Yes and Smokin - I think you can get a few boards with that profile - they are hard to find - but once you try it - I think you will love it. The men's Rossignol One Magtek is a favorite of many here on the forum (husband does not do park at his age) and works great for him and he SWEARS by that board. He had a camber/rocker/camber previously also, and once he got on this board - he was done looking - this is his all around go to board. That's why I decided to try it since the rocker in the middle just wasn't my cup of tea. The Rossignol Frenemy is the womens version of the men's One Magtek. Only difference is the men's has 7 points of contact magnetraction and the Frenemy has 5 points - but riding in ice most this year - I couldn't tell that much difference from the 7 point of the Diva Magtek and the 5 points from the Frenemy. You can find a new Frenemy board on some websites for around $239 I believe - not a bad price!
On Sale Rossignol Frenemy Magtek Snowboard 147 - Womens up to 40% off
Old 03-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Oh, my bad, I got confused. Thank you again!