Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Thoughts on the Rome Mod Rocker? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/136066-thoughts-rome-mod-rocker.html)

nolimits 03-24-2014 01:50 PM

Thoughts on the Rome Mod Rocker?

I currently ride an older 2008 Gnu Carbon High Beam. This was before it had magnetraction and BTX, so it's just a regular camber board.

I want a board that is:
  • Faster than my current board.
  • Can make quick edge to edge carve, able to do quick directional changes.
  • Doesn't feel all noodly/squirrely on uneven terrain over random mounds of snow.
  • Holds a good edge on hard pack snow.
  • Relatively floaty for powder days.

I would consider myself a intermediate-advanced rider, finally getting comfortable with doing all black runs this past season.

I understand that the Mod Rocker is also a park board which I haven't done as much but will likely try to get into it. I mostly stay on groomers with some occasional short trees runs.

I was going to grab Burton Custom board to help me progress further in the next season but I heard good things about the Rome Mod Rocker and that it was better value for the money so I was wondering what your thoughts are. Would this board be too advanced for me?

snowman55 03-25-2014 12:46 PM

I bought one but unfortunately my season is over :( and i haven't gotten to ride it yet.

Check out the review on angrysnowboarder.com (Burton Avenger's site). He gave it a good review.

I own/owned few Rome boards and I really like their FreePop Rocker (R/F/R) profile. I still have the Garage Rocker and used to own the Postermania which is supposed to be a softer version of the Mod Rocker. I wanted to get a stiffer/damper board with that profile and that was the reason I bought it.

hightyme 03-25-2014 01:43 PM

Rome

Go for it :thumbsup:

F1EA 03-25-2014 02:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nolimits (Post 1637106)
I currently ride an older 2008 Gnu Carbon High Beam. This was before it had magnetraction and BTX, so it's just a regular camber board.

I want a board that is:
  • Faster than my current board.
  • Can make quick edge to edge carve, able to do quick directional changes.
  • Doesn't feel all noodly/squirrely on uneven terrain over random mounds of snow.
  • Holds a good edge on hard pack snow.
  • Relatively floaty for powder days.

I would consider myself a intermediate-advanced rider, finally getting comfortable with doing all black runs this past season.

I understand that the Mod Rocker is also a park board which I haven't done as much but will likely try to get into it. I mostly stay on groomers with some occasional short trees runs.

I was going to grab Burton Custom board to help me progress further in the next season but I heard good things about the Rome Mod Rocker and that it was better value for the money so I was wondering what your thoughts are. Would this board be too advanced for me?

For:
* Faster than your board: just get a Sintered base and wax it regularly. Most sintered are fast enough, adequate waxing is what makes the big difference.

* Quick edging: I would say anything with some camber, if it's got carbon stringers all the better.

* Not noodly: Anything past 5/10 flex; also the stringers help. Camber underfoot is really good, and so is flat camber.

* Holds a good edge on hardpack: anything with Magnetraction; camber and flat camber underfoot are also decent.

* Relatively floaty: Flat camber is really good. Also anything with some rocker, especially on the nose. Stiffer than 6/10.

It seems the rocker/flat/rocker Rome mod fits the bill...... but I wouldnt say it has better value than the Custom. They cost almost the same price, and I really don't think Rome makes anything of better quality or tech than Burton, espcially if you want EST bindings.

More boards to consider (although they aren't exactly 'park' boards):

Salomon Assassin
NS Ripsaw
Yes Asym
Rossignol Jibsaw
Endeavor Live