Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   why are prople so against mervin boards (Lib Tech , Gnu, Roxy ) (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/136146-why-prople-so-against-mervin-boards.html)

Luvmustycarpet1 03-25-2014 07:41 AM

why are prople so against mervin boards (Lib Tech , Gnu, Roxy )

As I read some of these threads I see a lot of people shiting all over mervin boards and I'm wondering why ppl really dislike them ? I persoanlly love em I had Burton boards , ride boards ,Rome and a bunch more my friends have that I tried .... I personally love everything about libs n gnu... So if your a hater of these boards I'm curious to the reasons behind it ? To each is own if u hate em more power to you I would jus like to hear the reasons behind it.

wrathfuldeity 03-25-2014 08:32 AM

perhaps its a regional thang...biggie vs tupac....merv...ns...burton

Luvmustycarpet1 03-25-2014 09:02 AM

If that's the case that's pretty lame I live in long island NY n I'm anit Burton very pro mervin

chomps1211 03-25-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity (Post 1639010)
perhaps its a regional thang...biggie vs tupac....merv...ns...burton

That'd be my guess too! I see more ppl riding the same model Gnu boards etc, on the hill than I do any others.

I have yet to see someone riding the same Arbor board as I do. I've only seen one other person on the same Rome Garage rocker as I ride. I've spotted a few ppl on the newer NS Proto, but I've yet to see anyone on the same 12/13 model as mine.

Yet on any given day on the hills & resorts around here, I will see several ppl riding the exact same Riders Choice, Carbon Credit, Skate banana, etc. I don't even see that many ppl riding the same model Burton boards, and those things are everywhere! So not really sure where you are getting all the "Haters gotta Hate" impressions from! :dunno:

(...and just in case anyone's wunderin'? Yes, I'm still newb enough that I do pay attention to and check out other people's gear!) ;)

Dutty 03-25-2014 09:25 AM

I was looking at a skunk ape earlier this year and I ended up not buying it because Mervin boards don't put a full edge around the board. I've seen several boards delaminated in this area when looking around on the hill. Not sure if this is a real problem or happens often, but it was enough to make me look elsewhere.
No hate for Mervin boards though, they seem to be well received performance-wise.

ekb18c 03-25-2014 10:23 AM

I love GNU and Lib boards especially for NY (east coast) mountains.

hardasacatshead 03-25-2014 10:41 AM

I'm not completely against them at all, in fact I really like the TRS, Billy Goat, Hot Knife and Rider's Choice but I have a couple of issues with them.

1. No full wrap edge. I see so many Mervin boards in the lift lines with fucked up noses and tails - much more so than any other breed. I belt my board into submerged trees/rocks all the time and I'm certain the edge has saved my board on a number of occasions.

2. Shitty bases. I don't like the fact that on a US$700 board like the TRS HP there's a shitty extruded base on the fucking thing. Seriously, that's an expensive board with great tech and they throw garbage on the bottom. I've ridden the TRS HP and it's quick enough for sure, but my mate who owns it reckons wax doesn't last and it just doesn't feel as resilient as his boards with sintered bases.

So I'm not against Mervin, but I think there are better quality boards out there for much less coin.

/end rant.

Zolemite 03-25-2014 12:12 PM

Just bought my first Mervin board (14 Space Case) and am happy with my purchase so far. I do think every manufacture makes "good boards" for the most part. It all depends on, rider style, and weight.

Bgsmith9 03-25-2014 12:43 PM

I've never ridden a Mervin board, but to be honest, I really don't plan on it. I don't really like the idea of "magnatraction." I just feel like it's not necessary for my type of riding (park), plus even their cheapest board is expensive compared to others. Plus I like to support some of the smaller, less well known companies, like Signal, Academy and Endeavor.

SnowDogWax 03-25-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bgsmith9 (Post 1639770)
I've never ridden a Mervin board, but to be honest, I really don't plan on it. I don't really like the idea of "magnatraction." I just feel like it's not necessary for my type of riding (park), plus even their cheapest board is expensive compared to others. Plus I like to support some of the smaller, less well known companies, like Signal, Academy and Endeavor.

Bought a smokin Superpark to support the smaller company…:yahoo: