Never Summer Cobra Binding orientation - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Never Summer Cobra Binding orientation

SO i predominantly ride a Arbor Blacklist 157 but wanted something for a all mountain powder style board so picked up the Cobra X 163 for jackson this year. I ride a wide +15 / -15 stance and basically setup that stance on the cobra with my Burton Genesis Re-Flex bindings. i didnt have a measuring tape so i dont know if the actual bindings were the same distance apart (i just put the bindings on the widest setting as i do on the arbor.

Question is.. i felt like it took alot to move the board around and it was a lot stiffer. Am i doing myself a disservice riding big mountain with the same stance... is there a typical setting i should try?
IceShredEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't like that wide of a stance personally. I have a Cobra 161 and I use Salomon Chiefs set at 21 1/2" on center and 12/-12 degrees. With the bindings all the way out, you have them set at 24 1/2". I'm sure a tad more with the 163.

I'm 5'10" tall and 215 lbs.

With regards to your other post about the cobra stiffness...I thought it was a stiff board when I first got it last year. After riding it and a bunch of other boards, I now realize that it isn't that stiff. I'm glad because I like a softer board.

I've used the following bindings on my cobra: Salomon Chiefs (preferred), Union Atlas, Union Contact Pro and Flux DS30.
d2cycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2cycles View Post
I don't like that wide of a stance personally. I have a Cobra 161 and I use Salomon Chiefs set at 21 1/2" on center and 12/-12 degrees. With the bindings all the way out, you have them set at 24 1/2". I'm sure a tad more with the 163.

I'm 5'10" tall and 215 lbs.

With regards to your other post about the cobra stiffness...I thought it was a stiff board when I first got it last year. After riding it and a bunch of other boards, I now realize that it isn't that stiff. I'm glad because I like a softer board.

I've used the following bindings on my cobra: Salomon Chiefs (preferred), Union Atlas, Union Contact Pro and Flux DS30.
but i guess my question is.. do you ride other boards.. and do you change the stance board to board? thanks for your help bud
Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

I just went out on my first ride with my new Cobra 158. Had been riding a Burton Rippey for the past 10 years. I used the same exact set up as on my Rippey. My setup is +18, +12. I'm by no means an expert only going out for 3-4 days a year but really enjoyed the Cobra. The setup was perfect for me on both boards and I quickly got used to the hybrid profile. I eyeballed the distance between the bindings and I think it's roughly the same as on my Rippey.
shreddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

I don't change my stance much between boards. I use a wider stance on my park board. The width changes from around 21.5" up to 23" depending on the board. I prefer 22" though. I really like 12/-12 so I keep that the same on every board. I keep the bindings centered too because I ride as much switch as normal.

The Cobra is more fun with a little narrower stance IMO. When I first got it, I set my stance at 23" and it didn't float in powder as well as I thought it should and the outside of my feet hurt. I narrowed the stance for the next ride and now I love it. I know it is not a powder board, but that is what I use it for. I was at Wolf Creek last Nov for the 42" dumping and the Cobra was fantastic.
d2cycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2cycles View Post
I don't change my stance much between boards. I use a wider stance on my park board. The width changes from around 21.5" up to 23" depending on the board. I prefer 22" though. I really like 12/-12 so I keep that the same on every board. I keep the bindings centered too because I ride as much switch as normal.

The Cobra is more fun with a little narrower stance IMO. When I first got it, I set my stance at 23" and it didn't float in powder as well as I thought it should and the outside of my feet hurt. I narrowed the stance for the next ride and now I love it. I know it is not a powder board, but that is what I use it for. I was at Wolf Creek last Nov for the 42" dumping and the Cobra was fantastic.
who ever says its not a powder board is wrong.. with a rocker profile and set back.. with a semi-stiff board.. its a powder board.. don't let the forum junkies get to you
Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceShredEC View Post
who ever says its not a powder board is wrong.. with a rocker profile and set back.. with a semi-stiff board.. its a powder board.. don't let the forum junkies get to you
No, it isn't.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Definitely not a powder board. It has decent float but isn't your best option for really deep stuff.

Edit: On topic, I don't ride with different settings on this board than my other boards. Currently using 12 / -6 and 24.5", but I'm 6'5" so that changes up my stance quite a bit.
If you think it would be more comfortable, change your settings around. I used to do it on the mountain to tweak my stance and test what fit me the best. It only takes like 10 minutes to change your settings.

Last edited by Dutty; 03-25-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Dutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutty View Post
Definitely not a powder board. It has decent float but isn't your best option for really deep stuff.

Edit: On topic, I don't ride with different settings on this board than my other boards. Currently using 12 / -6 and 24.5", but I'm 6'5" so that changes up my stance quite a bit.
If you think it would be more comfortable, change your settings around. I used to do it on the mountain to tweak my stance and test what fit me the best. It only takes like 10 minutes to change your settings.
yea i think i just need to try different stuff.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
No, it isn't.
a board with a set back stance and rocker is what a ton of companies use... what are you saying... the raptor is THE POWDER BOARD... all thats different is its stiffer and the front has slightly more camber than the rear.. not going to make the biggest difference..