Board Boots and Bindings - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
nugg

Default Board Boots and Bindings

Yo,

I just got into snowboarding this season with my school's PE class. I've gone six times so far and it's been awesome. I've rented gear each time and would like to purchase my own for the tail end of this season and the many more to come. Before I ask any questions, here is some important information:

Weight: 215 (6')
Boot size: 10/10.5
Riding style: hills for now, eventually want to break into park
budget: Looking to spend ~500 on board/boots/bindings
Your location of riding: Central and Western New York

I'll start with the board. I'm looking for an all-terrain board since I just do greens/blues right now, but I would like to improve and tackle the harder runs and venture into the park. The boards that I have rented have typically been from 158-160, but after the reading I have done, I think I'm going to shoot for a longer board, probably 163-166; let me know if this is a good idea. Also, how much does a wide board differ from a normal sized one. My boots will probably be near the switching point and I'm not sure which one to scout for.

Here are some of the prospects I've come up with:

Flow Infinite

Rome Solution

Gnu MTX

Ride Control & Antic

Flow Diskord

For bindings, I think I'm going to get Burton Cartels, in a size Large. Will these fit the boards I'm looking at, and will they be compatible with most boots?

Finally, boots. I'm going to hit up the snowboard shop asap to try them on to see which ones fit the best. I'm hoping the BOA lacing system isn't uncomfortable because I absolutely hate tying up laces, and I can never seem to get the tightness right. Are there any brands/models that I should try on first? Also, what type of flex should I be looking to get?

Last edited by nugg; 02-21-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2009, 02:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Old 02-21-2009, 03:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Flow Infinite is a good board.

You'll be looking for something in the low 160s.

You don't need a wide-specific board as most boards at that length will be wide enough (there are exceptions).

Cartels are good (you will need a 4 hole or universal disc to mount them on a regular board).

Boots - stay away from the cheap noname brands like Lamar and 5150. You'll be looking for a mid-flex (at least 5/10).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg Catcher View Post
i strangle puppies

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
nugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
The Flow Infinite is a good board.

You'll be looking for something in the low 160s.

You don't need a wide-specific board as most boards at that length will be wide enough (there are exceptions).

Cartels are good (you will need a 4 hole or universal disc to mount them on a regular board).

Boots - stay away from the cheap noname brands like Lamar and 5150. You'll be looking for a mid-flex (at least 5/10).

Thanks for the help man, I just ordered a 163 Infinite ( the last one in stock )

I think I'm going to look into Flow bindings to make sure they're compatible
Old 02-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Goog choice on the Infinite, I ride the 164 Wide and i LOVE it. I was bout to suggest the 163 foro you and then saw that you have already purchased it. This board will be quite a bit easier to ride than any rental you've been on and it is 10x faster! This board BOMBS! Good luck with it. I have the flow M11 bindings on mine but i just use this board for a primarily freeride board. You make want to look into those (the blue m11's match the board perfectly) or if you are looking more towards freestlye the m9's or nxt-at's or nxt-fs's. Those are just flow brand suggestions on the bindings. Obvously you'll get the reccomendations of rome 390, targa and many others.

Also, I've only see one other infinite on the hill this year so i'm assuming its not that popular of a board which is nice. Also, it has 4 discrete naked ladies...
Woosenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
zackoz

Nice board, you can still throw on the cartels i've had both the 3d and the est versions, love them both, can set them up exactly how i want them...easily. They come with the universal mounting disc (4hole) and the 3D(burton) mounting discs in the box.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

flow bindings are nice but i have never used the cheaper models, i love my NXTs. people usually say anything under the M9 is not worth it.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

I tried on some Burton Ions today and they were SOO comfortable. I think I'm going to return my Northwaves and get the Ions. The Ion's are reduced footprint so it will help my clunky size 12's.

2009 Forum Youngblood 155cm (Park)
2009 Burton Cartel Bindings
$ickZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote