Help-advanced rider who knows nothing about boards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help-advanced rider who knows nothing about boards

I want to progress from an advanced rider to an expert. I'm thinking it's time for a new board. I don't understand snowboard terminology and I'm looking for some straight forward advice as to what I should look for based on my current riding style and where I hope to progress.

Background/experience:
I started off with a Nitro when I was a kid, got a real job & spent some big bucks on a Palmer Women's Liberty Carbon 2002/2003. I rode that for a few seasons (Buffalo, NY). Moved to Chicago, took a few seasons off, eventually explored Wisconsin's resorts, then moving on to CO mountains where I now mostly ride. In 2012, I updated to a 2011 Ride Promise & my riding progressed fast. I ride about 20-30 days a year.

Aside from the 3 boards I owned, last year was the 1st time I ever tried another board. I demoed some Lib techs (I loved!). I didn't write down what it was that I loved or what it was that I didn't like. Just remember 1 board was too soft & I hated it. I've talked to several people for advice, all seeming to know what they are talking about & all tend to say different things that further confuse me. Demoing is $30 a pop. I donít understand when I read about boarding online; I ride solo, have fun & thatís the extent to what I know. Looking for you to help to simplify.

Current riding (on Ride Promise):
1. Deep carving and riding for speed (small portion of a day)
2. Racing. Make Nastar Nationals every year. Would love an alpine board 1 day
3. Most of my riding is in trees or on moguls. Winter Park, Co black-blues & black diamonds.
4. I like kickers & some air but not too much in the park. More if I'm in WI & bored
Looking to progress:
1. improve tree & mogul performance
2. double-black diamonds, steeper terrain, expert terrain
3. improve switch riding (heel side no problem; toe-side I don't feel comfortable bec I'm so twisted & still unable to see clearly - maybe a twin would make toe-side easier)
Questions:
Ride Promise is a directional, a rocker & medium stiffness. What does this do for me in terms of the riding that I mentioned?
Is my board fine & do you think a new stick is "needed" to progress?
What specs should I look for & avoid?
Is a quiver possible?
I plan to demo but need to understand better what I'm looking for. Thanks
Tasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:

Is my board fine & do you think a new stick is "needed" to progress?

Translate from bike to board below. Unless budget is an issue then in 99 per cent of cases what you've got is good enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.7 KB, 184 views)
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Not trying to be critical or ironic or anything, just wondering how you manage to get that good without knowing anything about the equipment - even allowing for some exaggeration on both ends of the equation. Even if you have a naturally frugal nature, how do you manage to go that long without wondering, just a little bit....

It boggles the mind, it does.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Not trying to be critical or ironic or anything, just wondering how you manage to get that good without knowing anything about the equipment - even allowing for some exaggeration on both ends of the equation. Even if you have a naturally frugal nature, how do you manage to go that long without wondering, just a little bit....

I've been riding since like 89 and consider myself pretty good. I've owned 6 boards over that time - 2 were bought this year. When I decided to buy something new this year, I had no idea what any of the tech was. Just sayin, it happens.
Handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post

My reaction is exactly yours, Donutz. In reply to the OP, since you make those nationals every year you must be serious about snowboarding? Yet, you took a few seasons off? Does this mean you're serious yet took years off in your prime? This is a confusing post.
ListenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Guys... OP demoed Lib Techs. No wonder she's lost.....

Edit:
actually, most brands do it. crazy names for VERY simple stuff. It is confusing.

I think the most people can do here is to recommend a few boards good for your terrain and style; and based on what you're used to and already like.

Last edited by F1EA; 03-25-2014 at 10:23 PM.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Look at the LibTech Hot Knife or Darker Series either would be a great fit for your ride profile and desire to ride better switch.
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Also, I think op is female, guys.
Handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1EA View Post
Guys... OP demoed Lib Techs. No wonder he's lost.....

Edit:
actually, most brands do it. crazy names for VERY simple stuff. It's VERY confusing.

I think the most people can do here is to recommend a few boards good for your terrain and style; and based on what you're used to and already like.
OP is a "she"...women's Palmer Liberty, Ride Promise (is a women's board).

So Tasong. It seems the Ride Promise has LowRize in the front, ProRize in the back (^not just Mervin who has their own crazy names...). Sorry, I don't know what ProRize is, but I have a Ride board with LowRize rocker. Regardless, if you like that profile, I'd try to see how that translates to other company's profiles.

I have a GNU B Pro C2BTX (east coast). Not sure how it translates to your Ride's profile, but it's agile (for trees/moguls), stable (for landings), and a stiffer twin. People seem to either love or hate CRC, but if you're looking to demo, I'd def add that one to your list. GNU is made by Mervin; Mervin makes Lib Techs (no ladies decks in the Lib line) and also Roxy. Perhaps it'll be similar to the one you demoed/loved.

Good luck!

Edit: Welcome, and "is a quiver possible?" Yes. See the chart above
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

To be fair, until about 2004, there was no such thing as magnetraction, or anything not camber. Anyone who started before then didn't need to know or care about these things, yet they did fine.

It's odd to me too that a weekend warrior who is pretty casual about taking time off makes nationals every year and doesn't pay attention to gear, but not totally surprising I guess.

Anyway, I talked to one girl who does similar riding from the sounds of it (though not racing) and she absolutely loved the darker series C3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRideSleep View Post
(no ladies decks in the Lib line)
There are. TRS comes in a women's version (Narrow), and was a "Good Wood" in the womens category. I wouldn't recommend C2 BTX or anything reverse dominant for a hard charger though.

Last edited by jtg; 03-26-2014 at 12:53 AM.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote